• Wiring

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vandyman

Apprentice
Jul 16, 2017
You could just use the old Flintstone method. Cutting the floor boards out, would give you more power than that 307.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Agree with above concerning architecture. 326-455 CID Pontiacs all had the same external architecture and what fit one size fit all. Rather than going through the exercise of having to find and retrieve a lot of offbeat parts to do this swap, why not just hit the local pick a part and see if they have any dead Pontiacs from about 67-75, Look for station wagons because they tended to have the larger engines based on general overall weight and carrying capacity. A straight motor for motor swap tends to be a lot easier in terms of time and $$$$ than trying to crossbreed one vehicle with another model of motor. Not saying it can't be done; early hot rodders were past masters at the art of plugging different mills into their shorts but "American Graffiti" is just as much a dream as it is a movie.

Nick

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
IMO doing a swap to a different engine isn't the issue here if it was an upgrade like if he had a NA 3.8 and wanted to put in a 307 Olds then we would all be telling him what was needed to do it, there is no benefit to this swap.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
IMO doing a swap to a different engine isn't the issue here if it was an upgrade like if he had a NA 3.8 and wanted to put in a 307 Olds then we would all be telling him what was needed to do it, there is no benefit to this swap.
Well, there's one, and only one. If the 400 was trashed/unrebuildable, and someone gave a young kid in high-school with no money a free running but anemic 307, well, that's about the one and only benefit I can see.

Even then I'd try to swap someone for a free 301 or even a 260. Because if you're gonna punishyouself may as well go for broke and do less work.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Nah. Olds 260. Slower than all get out but reliable as heck.

Either a poncho 301 for rod twisting fun but a quick install, or, if you're gonna go slow with a olds 307 just go 260 instead. But I guess point taken. We could toss the 265 in the mix.

TBH I've never had good luck with 307s, but I know the 260s supposedly were a bulletproof little snail mill if you listen to the guys who like em. I'd feel somewhat comfortable believing them that you can drop one in and it just keeps running.

Hmm.... thinking about it, how about an edit...

Anyone wanna see him drop in an early carb iron duke?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Nah. Olds 260. Slower than all get out but reliable as heck.
Yeah but that would be the same work to install as doing the 307 and he already has that.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Yeah but that would be the same work to install as doing the 307 and he already has that.
Yup. But we're not here to make sense tonight ... just like the engine swap itself.

Don't mind me, it's a pain meds sort of night. :friday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor