High idle or just crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Look @ the NADA classic car value for the car - it's not good. Get use to being low balled and if your not happy with the offer just tell them you can't do that, thanks for looking at it. Get it out to some cruises with it where it will be appreciated.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Ve8r

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2010
That's a nice Regal . If the guy didn't expect to have to do at least a little work on a mostly original late 70s car, he wasn't the right buyer.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
i see what you mean, after the guy came to look at the car i fixed the spot where the brake line had a hole in it, but another spot started leaking, i want to replace the whole 1/4" area but i cant find anywhere that shows the exact length that is also flared. i bought a good flaring tool for 3/16" but the dye for 1/4 costs 60$!

Not to beat a dead horse, but this is exactly what some of us were talking about in the previous thread. If there's one bad spot in a line, the entire tube is suspect.

I agree about fixing the brakes for the sale, but didn't want to open that can of worms again

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
You should be able to get line and fittings at a local Advance Auto, Autozone, etc.
Not to beat a dead horse, but this is exactly what some of us were talking about in the previous thread. If there's one bad spot in a line, the entire tube is suspect.

I agree about fixing the brakes for the sale, but didn't want to open that can of worms again
yea i agree it needs a whole new line, i fixed the broken spot just for the pressure to push out the rust and expose a new spot.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
yea i agree it needs a whole new line, i fixed the broken spot just for the pressure to push out the rust and expose a new spot.

if you replace the line with cunifer tubing you won't need any tools to bend the tube

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
Look @ the NADA classic car value for the car - it's not good. Get use to being low balled and if your not happy with the offer just tell them you can't do that, thanks for looking at it. Get it out to some cruises with it where it will be appreciated.
The nada average says more than I'm asking.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I know several "professional" shops that use compression fittings all the time to repair brake lines. I personally would not use them, but they claim no callbacks ever. So back to the original issue. Have you warmed the car up completely and has the idle calmed down?

Looter

Apprentice
Jun 27, 2016
Hey guys im back, some guy came to look at my regal and said its only worth 1500 because it has a high idle and the exhaust manifolds are smoking (i told him ive never let it run for more than 5 minutes but he didnt believe me) i wanted your guys opinion if you think this is a high idle, if so how can i fix it?

Is it a U-Code 305 2bbl? If so high idle should kick down once your warmed up, if it doesn't it probably means your thermostatic choke needs to be replaced. My '78 has been having similar issues with high idle, and sometimes the car stalls out randomly.

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
Is it a U-Code 305 2bbl? If so high idle should kick down once your warmed up, if it doesn't it probably means your thermostatic choke needs to be replaced. My '78 has been having similar issues with high idle, and sometimes the car stalls out randomly.
Yea the 5th digit is a u and actually after it hasn't been started in a few weeks it will stall out if you don't give a little gas, but that's only happened twice

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
I know several "professional" shops that use compression fittings all the time to repair brake lines. I personally would not use them, but they claim no callbacks ever. So back to the original issue. Have you warmed the car up completely and has the idle calmed down?
I've never let it get super warm but yea my grandma had a Buick century and the shop replaced everything with compression fittings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor