how hot is overheating?

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
i have a stock 350 in my monte ss a L05 qjetted had duals put on last nov with hooker manifolds. i drove it a few times after the exhaust job and the temp gage quit working. recently got that fixed with a new temp sensor & wire end and it works but now gauge goes up to 220 and not around the normal 180 or so. sometimes it'll come back down but stays mostly at 220 and doesn't go higher. when i ran it it was 73-74 with maybe 70-80% humidity. everything under hood has about 2k miles and only thing with coolant was overflow can had to be refilled and still went to 220.

Last edited:

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
what kind/temperature of thermostat you got and what kind of cooling fan? how many years/miles on the water pump?

Reactions: 1 user

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
Sounds like you have an air bubble in there.
ok you may be right on this & may be my engine savior cuz never considered that, just sent off 2 EMs to my mech. in all honesty i was ready to accept 220 as the new norm and wait till cooler weather to see what happens. when i got exhaust installed the temp gauge while working intermittenly never read 220.

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
what kind/temperature of thermostat you got and what kind of cooling fan? how many years/miles on the water pump?
i appreciate your response but as i said everthing under hood = 2k miles including water pump but to your point the mechanic i had to replace the engine, i scrapped with his asst bout replacing the radiator cuz last time replaced was 06 or 07' and by 21' may have gad 15k miles. the same mechanic did all new hoses, belts, front brakes and hopefully heatercore *by request cuz 86' factory but wasnt on bill*. so they installed proper thermostat in late 19' but i'm not 100% they installed a new radiator as requested cuz also requested main batt cables be replaced but weren't. the water pump was replaced & like engine has 2k miles on it as well. HOWEVER! before i or anyone goes trashing that mechanic, even though it took almost a yr they charged me 1k & change...

Last edited:

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
210 to 220 is normal with a 195 T-stant. 180 operating temp is too cold and promotes faster cylinder wear.

Reactions: 1 users

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
210 to 220 is normal with a 195 T-stant. 180 operating temp is too cold and promotes faster cylinder wear.
thanks for input which is why i put this out there. since 95' i driven nothin else but 86' ss', im on #2. never has the temp risen past the 1st dot unless a issue like blown heater hose or head gasket. its now goin to 2nd dot on factory gauge staying there for most part so idk not sayin you're wrong. i am crippled so doin my own work on car is well... lol i just wanna make sure my engine aint gonna blow another head gasket & have dish out more $ anytime soon cuz replacing the 305 with 69k mi that never expected to do was a nitghtmare. i miss braggin bout having a survivor as gross as its paint looked. but the latest shop visit the stat wasnt part of the job list but gettin the factory temp gauge working again was and prob was in the wire area/ connection to sensor. heres what bought to fix a non working stock gauge. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RPPRXC/?tag=gbody-20

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
How's your fan clutch?

180 is ok, however, 195 as previously mentioned was more for lower emissions, increased performance and economy. A thermostat in general is for a quicker warmup. Cold engines waste gas, metal, and time.

Thermostats do NOTHING for overheating issues or controlling maximum operating temperatures. The setpoint simply dictates the lowest temperature that starts coolant flow through the engine, or basically, it only effects minimum engine coolant temperature. Think of it like a garage door. Temp hits setpoint, garage door opens up. Goes below setpoint, garage door closes. This is based on what the thermostat "pill" temps see. It doesn't care if you have a blown head gasket or other issues. It doesn't care if you have a copper or aluminum radiator or the coolest looking hose covers. Once it opens, its job is done. If you overheat, it doesn't care. It's only the thermostat's fault when it doesn't open due to a thermostat issue.

Have you checked the accuracy of your gage? So you put a new sensor in, which obviously could be off calibration slightly from your original one that died. I mean, if it was dying, who's to say it wasn't reading correctly anyway? It lives in a harsh environment on the head. If the wire is corroded or there's 40 miles of teflon tape keeping the sensor from getting a good ground (a mistake made more often than you think), your indication may be off. I'm assuming you have the factory gage in it, which is just a guesstimate of actual temps. Get an IR temperature gun and take some readings. That should tell you what's going on around your cooling system. You don't have to buy a Fluke brand or any of that super expensive junk. $25 can get you something you can use for comparisons.

You also have a little larger heat generator with the 350. Although your cooling system, if in good shape, should be able to handle it without issue.

If you have an air bubble in the system, that could cause erratic temps as well. If you've been driving it around, the air bubble should have worked itself out. If you're still adding fluid to the overflow, something else may be an issue. If your overflow tank is empty, you can't guarantee you have enough coolant to keep temperatures where they need to be. The rad cap is designed to burp excess coolant to the overflow when hot, but also suck excess coolant from the tank when cooling down to keep the system full. The only air you should have is on top of the fluid in the overflow tank.

Reactions: 1 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
i appreciate your response but as i said everthing under hood = 2k miles including water pump but to your point the mechanic i had to replace the engine, i scrapped with his asst bout replacing the radiator cuz last time replaced was 06 or 07' and by 21' may have gad 15k miles. the same mechanic did all new hoses, belts, front brakes and hopefully heatercore *by request cuz 86' factory but wasnt on bill*. so they installed proper thermostat in late 19' but i'm not 100% they installed a new radiator as requested cuz also requested main batt cables be replaced but weren't. the water pump was replaced & like engine has 2k miles on it as well. HOWEVER! before i or anyone goes trashing that mechanic, even though it took almost a yr they charged me 1k & change...
I'm not mad at you but I asked because too many times I've seen people say it's stock with no changes, but you said it only has 2k miles.
so to me that means you have an all original 35+ yr old car that only has 2k miles? not likely. (and then you mention in your response you replaced the engine. DEFINITELY not stock)

my definition of stock is original parts, or replacement exact-part-# matching parts. if all original it would have been very possible for the parts to be worn out from just sitting there for years from not being run and lubricated. if replacement parts it could also be the same but the point being they are not original. how do we know a GenII sbc waterpump that runs in reverse didn't get installed?
It could also have been something like "oh yeah, it's original, except for the (electrical fans I installed/new water pump with clutch)" because you forgot to mention it.

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
I'm not mad at you but I asked because too many times I've seen people say it's stock with no changes, but you said it only has 2k miles.
so to me that means you have an all original 35+ yr old car that only has 2k miles? not likely. (and then you mention in your response you replaced the engine. DEFINITELY not stock)

my definition of stock is original parts, or replacement exact-part-# matching parts. if all original it would have been very possible for the parts to be worn out from just sitting there for years from not being run and lubricated. if replacement parts it could also be the same but the point being they are not original. how do we know a GenII sbc waterpump that runs in reverse didn't get installed?
It could also have been something like "oh yeah, it's original, except for the (electrical fans I installed/new water pump with clutch)" because you forgot to mention it.
well i guess we have different views of the definition of "stock". my sig says what i have under the hood and to me when i said stock i meant a GM non HO crate motor with 0 performance add ons. did what i could to keep the nature what used to be there including qjet (all the computer junk was deleted, mechanic decision). in all honesty i would have gotten a L69 if were possible. if was original i might have used the term SURVIVOR which i miss saying.

don't know how else to say it without doing a separate paragraph bout how starting in summer 20' GM reproduced engines for the truck that dont wanna quit. 2 were reproed for 87-95, the options were the L05-k for maybe 3/4 ton trucks, suburbans with tbi and the L31 votecs for the Z71s.

"how do we know a GenII sbc waterpump that runs in reverse didn't get installed' i know a reverse water pump wasnt installed thats why i didnt make a issue of it. had already run it oct 21' - nov 22' and the temp was fine. lol man call it whatever you want but lets make this water under the bridge.

EDIT
P.S if you have a better quick use term i can adopt so not to have to splain stuff like this again i'd appreciate. :cool:

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor