How To: Camaro Rear Disc Brake Swap to G-body Axle

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Problem #1 solved. It turns out that the Camaro hard lines have an inboard fitting that matches the G body hose end block thread (although a metric tubing wrench fits the hex flats better than an SAE wrench). After about two hours, I have rebent and tweaked the Camaro hard lines to fit the G-body axle. Now I just need to weld on two line clamps and two hose tabs. Done.

The two shiny spots are where I drilled and ground off the OEM line clamps.

Attachments

• DSCN5724.JPG
    DSCN5724.JPG
    365.6 KB · Views: 1,408
  • DSCN5725.JPG
    DSCN5725.JPG
    378.1 KB · Views: 1,859
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Problem #3 resolution: make adapters for the hooks on the parking brake arms. Turns out the aftermarket e-brake cables have an end that is too small for the 'hook'. But, if I make an adapter out of 1/8 plate, I can still use my $10 bargain cables plus resolve the 180-degree installation problem.
Nest issue to solve - designing a bracket to hold the cable. Solution: the sway bar bolts on the lower control arms offer a place to put a bracket that keep the cable away from the tire. One bolt is 4" and the other 9-1/2" - I can make a bracket that fits between them and weld a 90-degree tab where it lines up best with the cable.

In the sketch, the adapter is designed from the larger OEM cable end. The smaller one to the left is the aftermarket end.

Attachments

• DSCN5747.JPG
    DSCN5747.JPG
    380.8 KB · Views: 872
  • DSCN5748.JPG
    DSCN5748.JPG
    387.5 KB · Views: 861
  • DSCN5751.JPG
    DSCN5751.JPG
    345.9 KB · Views: 895
  • DSCN5753.JPG
    DSCN5753.JPG
    349.6 KB · Views: 820
  • DSCN5754.JPG
    DSCN5754.JPG
    305.4 KB · Views: 830
Last edited:

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Problem #5: I forgot that the rotor is thicker than the drum at the hub. I need another 1/4" of lug stud to restore the proper thread engagement.

LSCustom's video even pointed this out. Details....

Attachments

• DSCN5750.JPG
    DSCN5750.JPG
    317 KB · Views: 650
Last edited:

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
mmmmm nuggets! Now I'm hungry !!! Great thread btw.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
good write up. FWIW the brake upgrade saved my *ss yesterday. In pretty heavy traffic I was doing appx 80kph / 50 mph ( which is the speed limit for that area ) heading west. Light turned yellow and and I goosed it a little just to get thru the intersection safely before the red light. Suddenly the dumptruck I had just seen approaching from my right ( heading south ) rolled thru his red light and turned right into my lane. Realizing his error he hammered the brakes and stopped the dumptruck but was still in my lane. I had a straight truck to my left and a dumptruck dead ahead leaving me nowhere to go. I laid into the brakes hard and stopped with only about 4 feet to spare. If it was still the stock brakes I would have slid right into the front wheel of his truck. It was just so quick and such a simple mistake. I spilled my water on my pants and my phone went flying. Def had a few choice words but it made me thankful ! Same damn intersection where I got tboned a few years back in the workvan too !

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Glad you (and your ride) survived unscathed. Good to know that this silly struggle to figure out how to do this with no instructions may be worth it. You're driving this rig now - how did you deal with the PB cables? Pictures?

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I still have to fabricate a bracket for the ebrake cable myself, I'll tackle that in June when the car is painted.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
With luck, I'll have something for you to follow. Will you keep the pedal or go with a handbrake?

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I am still using the pedal. I need the real estate in the console (whatever one I use) for other things.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Glad you (and your ride) survived unscathed. Good to know that this silly struggle to figure out how to do this with no instructions may be worth it. You're driving this rig now - how did you deal with the PB cables? Pictures?

Honestly because my car is auto I don't have the PB hooked up. I also clocked the backing plates so my calipers face forward for a little extra clearance and so I wouldn't have to relocate the shocks. IIRC that means my PB lines would have to pull from the back of the car and over the axle.
However we have used the writeup below to set up the brakes on 2 other friends Gbody cars as they both run stick. Its pretty easy and only requires some flat bar. We did a little more cut and weld just because we had the tools and to beef up the bracket a little but more or less followed the writeup and they work good. Its been many years but IIRC we used the stock gbody PB lines on one car and Wbody ( impala ) lines on the other one from the joint just under the drivers seat because it already had the clip on the end to hook right up to the lever.

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=58834

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor