How To: Camaro Rear Disc Brake Swap to G-body Axle

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
This may be the most tediously slow axle build ever seen, but it looked so easy in all the previous posted conversions....

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Just keep plugging away at it. You will get there with it looking like factory. You def have more patience then I will ever have. We did mine in a couple hours. Hand bent 2 new precut lines, and tacked on bracket to the axle tube for the hard line to flex line at the caliper. Couple of squirts of black paint and it was back on its wheels. It was also the 3rd setup for me and like the 6th for my friend who was helping.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I hand-(re) bent the OEM lines with a tubing bender tool - no issues with the different tube ends. Bolted right up to the G-body brake hose.

drb930

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2007
Los Angeles
Good write-up...
Did you finish this?
I am in the process of doing mine now...

Has anyone mounted the calipers in the original position as the LS1, with the calipers in front of the axle???

Last edited:

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I've seen several posts where it was discovered that when putting them on in front, they run into the frame when the suspension travels up. As long as the calipers and backing plates are swapped so the bleeders are at the top and the p-brake levers pull forward, they will stop and hold the car just fine.

The axle is all buttoned up, but I was going to continue the thread when I put it under the wagon and connect the parking brakes with the Malibu cable system. I have the 21 steps backwards, 22 steps forwards problem going on...I have a new brake line to install between the prop valve and rear flex hose - there's a crusty spot I don't trust right where it bolts through the frame above the axle. I have a bushing kit to install, 'cause the Jegs crossmember does not fit (they blame squashed body mounts), so I'll have the body up where I can slip the brake line in. I could have the axle in there in about an hour if it weren't for the other stuff I want to do first...

Attachments

• DSCN5870.JPG
    DSCN5870.JPG
    411.8 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Yes. I picked up one from Inline Tube. Specifically for disc-disc. Not adjustable. We'll see how it works out. I have been collecting the parts to do the Blazer front brake swap, so it will be a bit longer until I get fluid in the system.

drb930

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2007
Los Angeles
I've seen several posts where it was discovered that when putting them on in front, they run into the frame when the suspension travels up. As long as the calipers and backing plates are swapped so the bleeders are at the top and the p-brake levers pull forward, they will stop and hold the car just fine.

The axle is all buttoned up, but I was going to continue the thread when I put it under the wagon and connect the parking brakes with the Malibu cable system. I have the 21 steps backwards, 22 steps forwards problem going on...I have a new brake line to install between the prop valve and rear flex hose - there's a crusty spot I don't trust right where it bolts through the frame above the axle. I have a bushing kit to install, 'cause the Jegs crossmember does not fit (they blame squashed body mounts), so I'll have the body up where I can slip the brake line in. I could have the axle in there in about an hour if it weren't for the other stuff I want to do first...

The calipers have to be rear mounted, as stated above the calipers will hit the frame in the forward position.

What are most doing for e-brake brackets????

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The calipers have to be rear mounted, as stated above the calipers will hit the frame in the forward position.

What are most doing for e-brake brackets????
Go back a few pages. I made some from angle iron.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor