Hydraulic clutch set up T-5 swap. Wish me luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Out of necessity, I have to make a manual transmission work. I have a 98 firebird T-5 going into my 88 Cutlass S Classic. The pedal was the easy part. A 88 f body master cylinder did the trick. Just had to drill 2 mounting holes. The main hole was drilled and capped from the factory. trying to post pics.

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
Re: Hydraulic clutch set up. Wish me luck.

niCE 8) please post pics as i have a t5 world class 5 speed (from a 86 camaro)that im gonna be installing in my 87 elco!!! im gonna be using a hydraulic clutch system from a 95 camaro(has braided steel line,safer for my headers :wink: )what kind of console you running?did you use the camaro pedal assembly? i have a couple near mint standard consoles from a 95 camaro,and a 90 camaro,also an extra pedal assembly,and hydraulic system from a 95 as well if you need anything shoot me a pm.what are you using for a driveshaft? 350? 2004r? cutdown? how many inches?

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA

Hey, Thanks for he support. My pedal pics are in my gallery. I used a hardened plate steel and cut it to fit.(with much difficulty) I just bolted it to the clutch pedal. Its crazy strong, but if i get the chance, i'm gonna cut the other brake pedal and shape it to fit the same way and weld it to the clutch pedal. I got these pedals from NPD the El Camino catalog. It list the 78 -87 El camino and has the full manual linkage set up. The only thing i did not like about the pedals was the fact that the pedals can only use a 7/16 thick by 5 inch long bolt. No room for any bushings. So i packed axle grease in it and it seems fine, but because it had bushings, i used my old brake pedal and cut the pad. they both have very little play, so i ok with it. The pedal action is flawless, but i'll be watching when i get the full pressure of the clutch on that pedal. I'm using a Zoom pressure plate and disc. Now i'm waiting to find a Flywheel. (Check out "307 out and 350 in what did i do wrong?" post)

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA

Oh yeah I'm using the factory Olds console. I like the clean look of it. But I'm changing the dash cluster and some other mods i had in mind. But over all it will look factory until you get close. And the driveshaft fits. I had a 200r4 and the lengths are very close. The only thing you want to watch out for is if it bottoms out in the transmission. Especially when the rear swats. It will kill the bearings in the T-5 to start with, then comes the carnage. My driveshaft was a little short to begin with, So i'm not that worried about that. But i think the 350 transmission had a driveshaft that was a little longer.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana

Good luck to you, sir. I look to take the same road one day.

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010

look GREAT there jetsetw31!!! great plan of attack 8) i sent my pedal assembly(84 camaro) along with a stock gbody brake pedal to a member on ecc in which he cut and welded them together to work(as he stated the camaro was to short,and this is how he went about it on his)ive decided to go with a bench seat with my t5 (gives more of a "cruck" feel to me :wink: )do tyou have any recomandations/links to a stick that will work with my bench seat? if need be i have enough room to notch out the center,as im gonna be reupolstering it after the mock-up/install :mrgreen: keep the progress coming and cant wait for the "all-said-n-DONE!!!

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA

Hey LAX Rated, Notch the seat. i've seen it done and you'll like it.

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010

cool,ive also seen it done but im gonna hold off on the notching as till i get it mocked up and such as i may not have to,we'll see :wink:

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts

Can use use a hurst style shifter for a 57 bel air with bench seat? they have a wierd bend to go around the seat

a207917137610cd4f4d6cc_m.JPG

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA

Ok, I'm going crazy. Down to the hydraulic hook ups and i can't find my reservoir. I know i had one!!! I tore up every tool box, bag, and drawer looking for it. Argh!!!! And you guys know if i get another one, ............ Mine will turn up. :x

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor