hydro-boost suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thank you, Jared.
I'm probably due for a rear brake adjustment anyway. I have on occasion adjusted them, and it does firm up the pedal some. I would also adjust them to the point that they drag a bit.

one big improvement I found with my drum rear brakes is when I installed the A body 8.2 rear the wheel cylinders are bolt in instead of the clip they use on the G body. The 8.2 used the same size shoes and drum as on the G body but the rear brakes were much better on the A body rear than the G body so the only difference was the bolt in wheel cylinders

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Steve,
When I replaced my wheel cylinders a few years back, I had thought of converting them to bolt on rather than the dumb clip that doesn't keep the cylinders on securely.
I guess you can buy the kits to convert them to bolt on...or is just a matter of adding a bolt...I can't recall.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
On my 86' Regal rear drums it had both the factory clips and the bolt on clamps, the holes were threaded for the clamps so I assumed it was factory and after seeing some of the previous owners work he would have used self tappers or zip ties.

Reactions: 1 user

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I added the aftermarket bolt on clamps to my 8.5. I never noticed a difference I just did it because I had it ripped apart anyway.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Jack, I am running a hydro boost system from the 84,85 regal. The remanufactured hydroboost units are readily available. The reason I went that route as they were a direct bolt into the firewall, with no additional adapters required. I also use the brake pedal from + 867 Grand National with the power master, since the pin for the booster rod is in a different location.

Somewhere on my phone, or in my thread, I believe I have pictures and measurements of the differences between the vacuum brake pedal and the hydro boost brake pedal.

As you know, the wagon is not on the road yet so I can not comment on how well the brakes work.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks for your input, Jim.
How did you plumb the return line, and did you just purchase ready made hoses, or had them made?
I'm guessing your hydroboost unit was for a turbo Buick of those years.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Thanks for your input, Jim.
How did you plumb the return line, and did you just purchase ready made hoses, or had them made?
I'm guessing your hydroboost unit was for a turbo Buick of those years.
Jack, with the way that the turbo Buick is, I teed the return into the reservoir. And as far as the lines go, I made my own using Aeroquip stainless fittings and PTFE hose.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack, with the way that the turbo Buick is, I teed the return into the reservoir. And as far as the lines go, I made my own using Aeroquip stainless fittings and PTFE hose.
Thanks Jim.
Teeing the return line is probably the easiest. I have also seen it done with the additional return line fitting welded to the reservoir.
One of these days, maybe I get a list of what size fittings and hoses you used.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Thanks Jim.
Teeing the return line is probably the easiest. I have also seen it done with the additional return line fitting welded to the reservoir.
One of these days, maybe I get a list of what size fittings and hoses you used.
Jack, I think the fitting in the power steering pump reservoir would be the cleanest. What a t-fitting would probably be the easiest.

Here are a few pictures of the measurements I took of the brake pedals.

CAM00842.jpg CAM00846.jpg CAM00845.jpg CAM00844.jpg CAM00843.jpg

I measured it like this because I figured it would be a little more clear than trying to do center to center. I also forget which pedal is which, I'm getting old.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor