I'm thinking about a Big Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
OK Here I go again dreaming.....I want to go faster and when I say that I mean I would love to get my car in the mid 10 second range as a street/strip car...right now it has a kick *ss 388 stroker with 514 hp.....my best ET to date is a 12.67 @108 mph..I think I will be in the low 12's this week though when I go to the track as I will be tuning the carb, checking the timing and taking the converter to the limit and of course dropping the tire pressure.............But man I would LOVE to get 700 HP in my Monte....Some peeps would say put a lil juice ( 250 shot) to the motor but I don't wanna blow it up...I got 6 grand in this motor and has all the great parts...I bet I could sell her for 4500 or so.....But I know I would have to come up with a few more grand to get what I want...and I just put a built 700-r4 in my car rated for 600 hp...decisions , decisions and decisions....Would be nice in a perferct world...But I think I might just throw a 100-150 shot of juice to be safe and call it a day with the motor I have now..... All in all a 12 second street car aint to shabby !!! BUT Dammit..when I win Publishers clearing house... LOOK OUT :D

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
JBreu,
So that's why you want me to sell you my aluminum core support with the aluminum "X" braces! You're going to lighten up that mean Monte of your's to help you get into the 10's!

Doug

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
oldtinsmith said:
JBreu,
So that's why you want me to sell you my aluminum core support with the aluminum "X" braces! You're going to lighten up that mean Monte of your's to help you get into the 10's!

Doug
LOL :)

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I'm old school. Talk softly and carry a big block! It's so much easier for a big motor to make power cheaply.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
And reliably and with better manners. ie no need for a hugh stall converter steep gears lightweight balanced components & valvetrains to hold up while you spin the snot out of it trying to make power. You can say they take more fuel but maybe not if you need stall & gears on a small block & big mutha cam to make it go as fast as a comparably powered 100+ cubic inch bigger big block. And then their is weight but aluminum heads & intakes do a lot. Pat Musi (sp?) "Back in the day if you popped to hood if it had a smallblock it was your moms car." :rofl: Then again if you went to a car show/cruise in and didn't have a sbc under the hood you would be different than the rest of the herd. :mrgreen:

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
JBreu said:
OK Here I go again dreaming.....I want to go faster and when I say that I mean I would love to get my car in the mid 10 second range as a street/strip car...right now it has a kick *ss 388 stroker with 514 hp.....my best ET to date is a 12.67 @108 mph..I think I will be in the low 12's this week though when I go to the track as I will be tuning the carb, checking the timing and taking the converter to the limit and of course dropping the tire pressure.............But man I would LOVE to get 700 HP in my Monte....Some peeps would say put a lil juice ( 250 shot) to the motor but I don't wanna blow it up...I got 6 grand in this motor and has all the great parts...I bet I could sell her for 4500 or so.....But I know I would have to come up with a few more grand to get what I want...and I just put a built 700-r4 in my car rated for 600 hp...decisions , decisions and decisions....Would be nice in a perferct world...But I think I might just throw a 100-150 shot of juice to be safe and call it a day with the motor I have now..... All in all a 12 second street car aint to shabby !!! BUT Dammit..when I win Publishers clearing house... LOOK OUT :D
Hehehe... has my sig been getting to ya? I hope not. For many years I never thought I'd actually be able to afford my dream motor (which was the World crate 454 small block) but years and many rebuilt small blocks later, here I am. 555 crate from Edelbrock/Pat Musi and there is an oil leak which we can't seem to figure out where it's coming from. Seems nothing is fully headache-free. :roll:

If your 388 stroker is healthy, I say work with that. I mean, I just want a healthy engine (at the moment, more than power). Why not explore a twin turbo or a supercharger setup. You will have low weight, and the power/torque to meet your goals. Just what I think you should do. ;)

larryo454

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
I like using the bbc power and troque makes for a more reliable engine with the right parts.

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
I hope your 514hp is dynod at he crank cause if thats wheel power you should be doing mid to high 10s now if your tuned in.

Personally if I was you I would give some serious thought into what your gonna do. Your motor sounds stout. If I was in your shoes wanting more I'd be looking into a blowthrough vortec setup for $2000. With a base motor of 514hp you'll be able to top the entry level kit out at maximum supported horsepower around 775.

Whats your compression ratio?

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
stomis said:
I hope your 514hp is dynod at he crank cause if thats wheel power you should be doing mid to high 10s now if your tuned in.

Personally if I was you I would give some serious thought into what your gonna do. Your motor sounds stout. If I was in your shoes wanting more I'd be looking into a blowthrough vortec setup for $2000. With a base motor of 514hp you'll be able to top the entry level kit out at maximum supported horsepower around 775.

Whats your compression ratio?
Stomis,
You are correct it's 514 hp at the crank............I have 10/1 compression right now...with that vortec setup you mentioned would I have to change the pistons to make lower compression?? Wher can I look to check out that setup?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor