Intake Manifold Installation 305 SBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Ok, I got my hands on a damn near new Edelbrock Performer EPS for cheap...

20220312_112159.jpg
20220312_112307.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

SSMonteMan

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2015
What I applied
If that's RTV that you applied, to seal the china walls, you're going to want to scrape that off and try again. For two reasons; 1: that's not near enough, you need to apply about a quarter inch thick bead of RTV to make the seal. And 2, you want to do this about 5-10 minutes before installing the intake, otherwise it won't adhere to the intake, too, and will leak.

Reactions: 3 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
If that's RTV that you applied, to seal the china walls, you're going to want to scrape that off and try again. For two reasons; 1: that's not near enough, you need to apply about a quarter inch thick bead of RTV to make the seal. And 2, you want to do this about 5-10 minutes before installing the intake, otherwise it won't adhere to the intake, too, and will leak.
Oh no, I already scraped off the china walls gasket and RTV ...the front had the rubber gasket from an intake manifold set, and the back RTV was used to make a gasket.

I thought he was referring to the valley RTV I applied on the middle and outter coolant ports on each side of the valley...

But great info on how to use the RTV on the china walls, I needed that.

Last edited:

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Ok...new valve cover gasket...decisions, decisions...

I see the blue rubber FelPro 1628 sets but they are $60 in store and online...out of my budget right now...

I got about $25 to work with...

I don't think I've had any leaking coming from the valve covers, but definitely seen "sweating"...

Cork or rubber ? Normal, thick, extra thick ?

Do I use RTV on the gaskets when installing the valve covers ?

SSMonteMan

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2015
I use felpro part number 90314-2, about $20, last I checked.

Here's a decent video of a guy doing the install:

That's almost exactly how I do it, myself. Notice how he also runs the bead up the head just a bit. This helps seal the china wall at the corners. Also, the RTV around the coolant ports helps a lot to hold the gasket in place as you set the intake on, so I highly recommend that.

I use rubber gaskets for my valve covers, a light layer of RTV between the cover and gasket holds them in place, none needed on the head side, usually. If you use cork, I would RTV both sides and check torque on them after a week or two, as the cork will compress and might allow the hardware to back out.

Reactions: 1 user

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021

That's almost exactly how I do it, myself. Notice how he also runs the bead up the head just a bit. This helps seal the china wall at the corners. Also, the RTV around the coolant ports helps a lot to hold the gasket in place as you set the intake on, so I highly recommend that.

I use rubber gaskets for my valve covers, a light layer of RTV between the cover and gasket holds them in place, none needed on the head side, usually. If you use cork, I would RTV both sides and check torque on them after a week or two, as the cork will compress and might allow the hardware to back out.
Hell yea, I'm subscribed to his channel, lot of 305 content 👍🏾

Felpro 90314-2...got it

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021

Ok I did it exactly how the video described...intake installed and torque down...❤

20220316_134312.jpg
20220316_134327.jpg

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
As for the thermostat, rtv is not needed but you could do a light skim coat on both surfaces

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor