Intake Manifold Installation 305 SBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Ok, I got my hands on a damn near new Edelbrock Performer EPS for cheap...

20220312_112159.jpg
20220312_112307.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
I got the distributor back in exactly how I had it...
Screenshot_20220316-152059_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220316-152031_Gallery.jpg

Quick question, I moved my car into the yard from the driveway to the yard by pushing it...motor wasn't running obviously...

Did the engine rotate when I pushed the car ?

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
No the motor did not rotate while pushing it. Also your fan is installed incorrectly, right now it is just pushing air not scooping and pulling the air through the radiator.

• Agree
  • Clever
Reactions: 2 users

SSMonteMan

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2015
I don't RTV the dizzy, cuz you want to be able to turn it, a good paper gasket there is fine. A light coat of RTV on the thermostat gasket, both sides, wouldn't hurt. Don't want it to leak.

I don't see any washers on the intake bolts... That shouldn't be a problem, but I've always used some flat washers on aluminum intakes, reduces damage from the hardware and spreads the load out a bit better. Just double check the torque after a few heat cycles, and you should be fine.

Did you get your new carburetor?

Reactions: 1 user

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
I don't RTV the dizzy, cuz you want to be able to turn it, a good paper gasket there is fine. A light coat of RTV on the thermostat gasket, both sides, wouldn't hurt. Don't want it to leak.

I don't see any washers on the intake bolts... That shouldn't be a problem, but I've always used some flat washers on aluminum intakes, reduces damage from the hardware and spreads the load out a bit better. Just double check the torque after a few heat cycles, and you should be fine.

Did you get your new carburetor?
Yea the washers are there...

No on the carburetor, I'm waiting on taxes to buy it...

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
Backwards ?
You have a standard rotating fan on there right now. On a normal v belt drive the fan will spin the same direction as the crank (clockwise), but being that you have the serp set up on there the fan gets spun in the reverse direction (counterclockwise). If you look at the left side of your fan in your photos notice how to blade is not scooping the air as it would be rotating counterclockwise.

Here is the best photo I can find showing how the blades would be shaped on a counterclockwise fan:
resources (2).jpg

vs what you have:
resources (3).jpg

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I got the distributor back in exactly how I had it... View attachment 194492 View attachment 194493

Quick question, I moved my car into the yard from the driveway to the yard by pushing it...motor wasn't running obviously...

Did the engine rotate when I pushed the car ?
Maybe not when you pushed it but why is there a socket on that pulley bolt ? Did you try to turn the pulley ? Did that turn the crank as you did that ?

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
You have a standard rotating fan on there right now. On a normal v belt drive the fan will spin the same direction as the crank (clockwise), but being that you have the serp set up on there the fan gets spun in the reverse direction (counterclockwise). If you look at the left side of your fan in your photos notice how to blade is not scooping the air as it would be rotating counterclockwise.

Here is the best photo I can find showing how the blades would be shaped on a counterclockwise fan:
View attachment 194520

vs what you have:
View attachment 194521
Wasnt this discussed in the original thread ? SMH

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor