Interior Drone/Sound Deadening

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Right on, that's surprising. I just figured itd be like bein on a roof with it. In the summer it smells like your walking behind an asphalt truck 😆. Did you use the Grace or regular sandy stuff because i have a roll of the regular stuff in my garage...

it was just the cheap stuff, he sells the dynamat but he says that is just overpriced

Reactions: 1 user

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
My buddy used this stuff Lizard Skin in his Datsun 260Z with a 327 SBC stuffed in it.
Much easier to use than a mat cut to fit, but his whole interior was out at the time.
Can definitely tell it's there, no more resonance from the panels it was applied to.
Not cheap, but only have to do it once and there is no residual odor.

Reactions: 1 users

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
One observation...there are products currently on the market and available that have been researched and developed to do exactly what you want, so why try workarounds with untested products that were NOT designed for those uses. Regarding anti-fatigue pads, will they deteriorate over time due to exposure to heat? Also, someone else has already mentioned smell of kerosene, basically, off-gassing of fumes? If you think about it, these considerations are huge and have potential health ramifications! Be safe and use products for what they were intended...that is my recommendation.

Jimmy girl

Apprentice
Oct 11, 2014
I covered the floor with dyno mat , but with 3in dual exhaust , it still drones . I. Going to try jute padding behind the rear seat . Tone changes

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Second Skin Audio, Dynamat, HushMat, or Vibro Solutions all make dampening material specific for vehicles.
A combination of materials is the ticket (vibration dampening, heat/sound barrier & noise isolation). This is what current high end cars utilize in addition to coatings & specialty glass.

My Square-body crew-cab dually has a big block, 1 3/4" full length headers, & 3" exhaust (3" in/out mufflers under the back seat floor pan) w/a 'H' pipe. The exhaust tubing reduces down to 2.5" after the mufflers & dumps @ the rear bumper It has enough umph to trigger car alarms when pulling through an apartment complex. Zero drone & very quiet inside. I used the Second Skin product line (vibration/temp dampening pad/s, closed cell foam sound barrier, MLV sheet isolation). I had never used the stuff before but wanted the interior of my truck quiet w/the windows up. I got what I wanted.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I’d say changing out the mufflers will be cheaper and easier than any other option called out so far. And more effective.

Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
I did the roofing stuff when I did my headliner. It doesn't stink and the car stays cooler in the Las Vegas sun. I'm planning to do the whole floor when I redo the carpet. check out the video for install and details.

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
When I was in the Mustang's doors last summer I installed HushMat ... I'm happy with it, the before/after sound of striking the exterior metal with my hand is pretty impressive

81_El_Homewrecker

Greasemonkey
Oct 26, 2015
I’d say changing out the mufflers will be cheaper and easier than any other option called out so far. And more effective.
I have the largest Dynomax mufflers available. It’s a combination of engine and road noise. Hitting potholes sounds bad. Thinking it’s the poly body bushings too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor