Interior Panels Faded colored

alex21278

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 3, 2024
Switzerland
The red interior panels of my 78 monte carlo are faded, due to the sun i am guessing over the years. Ive seen this on many monte carlos so it seems like a general problem on these g bodies.
I planned on repainting them with a plastic primer and spray paint. Is that a good idea? And if so which color would be correct for the red interior?

Attachments

• Screenshot_12754.png
    Screenshot_12754.png
    323.9 KB · Views: 13

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
The red interior panels of my 78 monte carlo are faded, due to the sun i am guessing over the years. Ive seen this on many monte carlos so it seems like a general problem on these g bodies.
I planned on repainting them with a plastic primer and spray paint. Is that a good idea? And if so which color would be correct for the red interior?
I wouldnt use regular paint. Theres a specific product thats made for doing this. You should also spray an adhesion promoter on what your painting so the paint adheres to it. You can buy ready made aerosol cans that are a close match from Dixie or Mikes Montes

Reactions: 1 user

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
What mikester said is correct - don't use regular spray paint. For my 79 Cutlass carmine red interior (same as yours, I think) I repainted mine with SEM interior coat. I bought the pre-cleaner, adhesion promoter and first pint from a forum sponsor. I did my door and rear trim panels and add-on 3rd brake light first. Recently I got another pint from my local Finishmaster location to do seatbacks, console and dash cover. The colors match up, but the sheen on the product from Finishmaster looks clearer, closer to orginal. I did use a spray gun, but you can buy rattlecans from the forum sponsors or local supplers. Mine turned out great.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'll add that even recoloring the faded panels there will always be a slight variance in color shade with all panels & substrates. Even when new everything didn't 100% match. But to help, your interior color code should be 74 for dark carmine. PPG codes for additional cross referencing is 72273 for semi-gloss which I'd recommend for the door panels, 72291 for low gloss. Always make sure you get & use all recommended products from the manufacture to go with their color system you'll be using. Any good autobody supply store should be able to mix or ordering you color & needed materials.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Use interior designed tint. Paint not a good choice.

Second is Rit dye.

See attached what it did to my 86 after purchase. It had sat under a tree 12 years in Tucson sun.

Had I to do it over again I would have just used the tint. But I was curious how Rit would do, and had never seen it done before.

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor