Interior time! Dash removal.

lucky 1985

Apprentice
May 5, 2016
1985 El Camino Conquista. I have begun my interior refurbishment by removing carpet, door panels, and most of the plastic garnish moldings. Next is the dash, since I will be getting all new custom wiring, a Dakota Digital cluster, LED instrument lamps and interior lighting, and a new dash cover.
How do I start the dash removal process? I looked for a thread about this but did not find anything.
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_6285.jpg
    IMG_6285.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: 1 user

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
When I jump into a project that I have not done before or need to get familiar with, I spend some time on YouTube University and check the whole process. Basically, I want to avoid the mistakes to reduce redoing steps. Lastly, take your time, use a camera, and bag/mark pieces as you remove them. Good luck!

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Heres two videos from site sponsor Dixie Restore and our very own member Hutch (oldsofb). They both helped when I pulled my dash the first time.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users

lucky 1985

Apprentice
May 5, 2016
When I jump into a project that I have not done before or need to get familiar with, I spend some time on YouTube University and check the whole process. Basically, I want to avoid the mistakes to reduce redoing steps. Lastly, take your time, use a camera, and bag/mark pieces as you remove them. Good luck!
Thanks 57 Handyman. Check, check, and check. Just wanted some hands-on advice here.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Dash removal is much easier than you think it would be. Just make sure you get all.of the fasteners out, and having a second set of hands would help.

Reactions: 2 users

lucky 1985

Apprentice
May 5, 2016
Dash removal is much easier than you think it would be. Just make sure you get all.of the fasteners out, and having a second set of hands would help.
Reviewing the videos suggested by 88AZSS I am finding that out. Thanks for your encouragement.

gstrouse

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 29, 2023
1985 El Camino Conquista. I have begun my interior refurbishment by removing carpet, door panels, and most of the plastic garnish moldings. Next is the dash, since I will be getting all new custom wiring, a Dakota Digital cluster, LED instrument lamps and interior lighting, and a new dash cover.
How do I start the dash removal process? I looked for a thread about this but did not find anything.
Thanks for any help.
Vintage Air has a great video on removing dash on a 84 Monte Carlo. It's on youtube also.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor