Is Hyundai Finally Making Something You Would Actually WANT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I am referring to the new Genesis Coupe. I just looked at the specs, and for $23,500 you can get what is basically their track model without the leather and navigation. So, you get an LSD, RWD, 2 liter turbo 4, 13.4 in Brembo brakes, 6 speed transmission, etc. There is also a 306hp 3.8 liter V6 version too! That's stock LS1 F body territory!!! For my money, it would be the turbo 4 though as it would be more balanced. (Plus, I bet I could get it to 300hp...) Still though, it has to be the performance bargain of the century if it is as good as everyone seems to think it is. Essentially, someone has decided to make the Nissan Silvia turbo S13 again, and that someone is Hyundai.

What else is interesting is that Nissan is supposedly working on a new Silvia, and Toyota on a new AE-86. There may yet be something to be happy about in the world of sub $25,000 cars.

XbeasleyX

Apprentice
Jan 24, 2009
Western New York
I must admit the Genesis coupe is very appetizing. Although I had been planning to pickup a used Cobalt SS since they are around 10-13 in great shape.

CutlassJ

Greasemonkey
Oct 30, 2008
Northwest Suburbs IL
The Genesis looks good too. I saw it up close at the chicago auto show when I went just a few weeks ago. I have alway hated ricers in a big way. But man i would by that coupe with out even thing ing about it. Do they still do there 10 year warrenty junk that makes it better deal yet.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The sad thing to me is that I want this more than the new Camaro. To me, the Camaro looks too big and bulky, and it's too heavy and expensive. I really don't want a 2 ton "sporty" car. Sadly, that's what the Camaro and Challenger are. They make a Caprice Classic seem light by comparison!

CutlassJ

Greasemonkey
Oct 30, 2008
Northwest Suburbs IL
Ya a few years ago i was suprised to find out that my cutlass with a BBO was lighter then a friends 95 trans am that thing was stock LT1 6 speed not even any headers. All the guys at work were excited about the challenger till they found out how heavy it was gonna be then that was the end of that thing i still think it looks cool camaro too they made them look new in the same way as the mustang.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
As appealing as the Hyundai is, both in looks and on paper, I'm still reluctant to put faith in Hyundai's quality... Those cars in my experience are a textbook example of a 'Bic' car. You know, the kind you use up and throw away? They may very well be better now, but I wouldn't take the chance.

hujass

Apprentice
Jun 24, 2008
N Dakota
Hyundai is on the heels of and in some cases pass the Japanese in quality and they back it up with the 10/100 warranty. Good enough for me.

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
From the front I kind of get the Mercedes SLK look. From the side view I get the Ferrari kind of look. It seems like they are taking some body line from those 2 cars and incorporated them into it.

Hyundai has come a long way in the car market. My parents own one and only 2 times has something happened. I think the paint chipped off on the door trim and the mirror and both times it was repaired for free.

I have seen way too many problems with American cars such as Hummer, Cadillac, Chrysler, I seen a brand new Chrysler go up in flames the other day, have seen many hummers FAIL and values depreciate and I have seen many Cadillac cars with electronic or mechanical problems because of modern technology that is garbage. Parts or repair are no cheaper that $500 in some cases and the cars are a b*tch to work on. Just to change an oil pan on my friends Cadillac, you need to take the engine out and it was going to cost him $1,000 all because the pan cracked.

People with American cars are getting screwed because the workers are all Unionized. They do not care about quality and only care about making big bucks for sh*t work.

Foreign automakers take pride to support their country and the cars they make. I would buy a Hyundai over any new American car on the market today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor