Is this an alignment issue

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
So I installed 2 inch drop springs in my 85 Monte and shocks that work well with it. I got different tires and wheels (different sized also) and it all fits great and works well. But when I get up to like 50mph I get a vibration. I’m running federeral 595 tires which I know are budget and I’ve heard they are loud and can possibly vibrate? Is that what this is or is this an alignment problem. The steering wheel stays straight and when I don’t touch the steering wheel it drives pretty straight it also doesn’t pull to any side.

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Were the tires balanced when they were mounted? Did you lose a weight; if not then alignment considering that all parts such as ball joints, tie rods are all tight!

Reactions: 1 users

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
Were the tires balanced when they were mounted? Did you lose a weight; if not then alignment considering that all parts such as ball joints, tie rods are all tight!
Yes I got them balanced I forgot to say that. And I’ll check and see if I lost a weight. I shouldn’t have but I’ll double check, everything should be tight

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
You should always get an alignment after drop springs. Your camber changing even just a little and all your bushings and geometry in the front suspension being slightly tweaked can cause issues if not properly aligned to compensate for the changes.

Reactions: 2 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Type "taller ball joints" into the search bar and you'll be rewarded. Macguyver from South Side Machine has shared every piece of info you need. It all has to do with the wonderful G Body suspension design giving you positive camber and toe-in during suspension compression. By using drop springs things have moved as if the stock ones got compressed by 2".

With positive camber the wheel wants to turn away from the car naturally. With toe-in the wheel wants to turn towards the center of the car naturally. You're forcing it to stay straight which is binding up the rubber, which is then breaking loose. Repeatedly, and in quick succession.

You ever rolled a tire and watched it start to lean to one side a bit, then begin to turn, and start to wobble? You're basically forcing your front wheels to try and do that. You need taller ball joints and an alignment to compensate for the drop springs or you'll be buying new tires soon because you're asking your wheels to obey conflicting laws of physics. It's hard on wheel bearings too.

• Winner

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I see you've also had questions concerning a rear lowering kit you installed and are having issues with, as well as wheel spacers/ frame notching, coil spring clocking, etc.... You must like worms cuz you opened a couple cans at the same time. It's a good thing you're on the best forum you could ask for!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
I see you've also had questions concerning a rear lowering kit you installed and are having issues with, as well as wheel spacers/ frame notching, coil spring clocking, etc.... You must like worms cuz you opened a couple cans at the same time. It's a good thing you're on the best forum you could ask for!
Yeah I’ve figured everything out and got everything right. I just need to figure out this vibration I’m going to go get it aligned soon

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
Type "taller ball joints" into the search bar and you'll be rewarded. Macguyver from South Side Machine has shared every piece of info you need. It all has to do with the wonderful G Body suspension design giving you positive camber and toe-in during suspension compression. By using drop springs things have moved as if the stock ones got compressed by 2".

With positive camber the wheel wants to turn away from the car naturally. With toe-in the wheel wants to turn towards the center of the car naturally. You're forcing it to stay straight which is binding up the rubber, which is then breaking loose. Repeatedly, and in quick succession.

You ever rolled a tire and watched it start to lean to one side a bit, then begin to turn, and start to wobble? You're basically forcing your front wheels to try and do that. You need taller ball joints and an alignment to compensate for the drop springs or you'll be buying new tires soon because you're asking your wheels to obey conflicting laws of physics. It's hard on wheel bearings too.
Do I need both tall lower and uppers? I’m not trying to dump tons of money into this car as it’s not the cleanest.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor