Just dropped the headliner- YUCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Depends on how much cloth you use when you do the repairs. If going just with the resin, then maybe two coats of resin max and lay it on THIN. If planning on adding the glass fibre, then one layer of cloth and the other of mat. One gives you strength and the other, greater ease when shaping it to the existing curves and angles. Glass and I are old frenemies. Just be careful and not end up as a latter day Big Daddie Roth and mixing batches of glass and resin by the 45 gallon barrel full at a time....................Hee, Hee, Hee, Hee.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I know cloth is mostly good on flat stuff. And very strong. But I do like the mat for being able to push it around and shape it with a small paint brush. I can work it into depressions and build up spots. What about that woven tape they use for spackeling walls? Pretty strong stuff but I never used it with resin.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I know cloth is mostly good on flat stuff. And very strong. But I do like the mat for being able to push it around and shape it with a small paint brush. I can work it into depressions and build up spots. What about that woven tape they use for spackeling walls? Pretty strong stuff but I never used it with resin.
Mark,
That tape might work okay. I never tried it with resin either, but worth a shot. I like working with the matting. Like you said, you can work it into crevasses, etc.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
jack I was speaking of the mesh tape- not the paper stuff. Ever use it on walls? It is almost like fiberglass but a mesh. By the way, my ears are still ringing from the fireworks. I think some folks spend more on fireworks than on food around here!

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
So, time for a test panel. Find something in the discard pile and use it as a guinea pig to see if the resin and the drywall mesh tape will play nicely together before going off the deep end. Try it both on a flat surface as well as a curved one just to see how well it takes and keeps a shape. Remember that this stuff is meant to be applied to drywall and that drywall, for the most part, is pretty much Flat. it can be cut and vee-d to fit odd shaped surfaces but how it will stick to a non-paper surface is the object of the experiment.

Nick

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes, a test for sure. And the board is paper- so- maybe? I guess it will really depend if the resin works with it.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
jack I was speaking of the mesh tape- not the paper stuff. Ever use it on walls? It is almost like fiberglass but a mesh. By the way, my ears are still ringing from the fireworks. I think some folks spend more on fireworks than on food around here!
FWIW, I think this is the stuff you're thinking of?

20220705_222438.jpg

If so, you're going to need something else overlaid on top, the gaps in the mesh are a bit wide for something as liquid as the resin.

It could reinforce the reattachment of broken pieces, but not so good for holes or deep gouges

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
YEAH!! That's it! As for deep gouges, it might work as an initial or middle layer over which cloth or mat could then be laid. it becomes the spine or backbone for the patch or repair and makes it stronger. Now wondering if it comes in varying sizes of holes which just kicked in another synapse; there is one version of mesh sold by hardware stores for screen doors that is made from cotton or nylon thread woven in a tight mesh pattern that is then plastic coated. Have never tried to use it with a coating of resin to secure it but the smaller holes in the mesh ought to diminish the loss of resin due to drip or run. JUst me thinking?? aloud here.

Nick

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
YEAH!! That's it! As for deep gouges, it might work as an initial or middle layer over which cloth or mat could then be laid. it becomes the spine or backbone for the patch or repair and makes it stronger. Now wondering if it comes in varying sizes of holes which just kicked in another synapse; there is one version of mesh sold by hardware stores for screen doors that is made from cotton or nylon thread woven in a tight mesh pattern that is then plastic coated. Have never tried to use it with a coating of resin to secure it but the smaller holes in the mesh ought to diminish the loss of resin due to drip or run. JUst me thinking?? aloud here.

Nick
Well, then you run the opposite problem.

The screen replacement isn't very thick, meaning the amount of depth of resin held, and thus strength added, would be minimal.

The easy problem with the screen/door mesh is that it isn't already adhesive, which one side of that drywall stuff is. A quick spray with upholstery adhesive would fix the problem with a non-sticky mesh.

My question though is why need the mesh at all? Just a cloth-reinforced duct tape on the reverse side of the headliner does wonders, followed by resin alone on the now held firm front side. If need be, use some of that cloth tape called gaff tape/gaffers tape on the side you want to resin impregnate. Picture duct tape made of cloth with glue on one side. That stuff the resin can soak right into since it's not a plastic base like duct tape is.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Mark,
I know exactly what you meant. The plastic tape that looks like mesh and has an adhesive backing, not the paper garbage,, Works great when doing drywall seams, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor