LS Tesla swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
I love the ignore function.
Probably time you step away from the computer for the day anyways, you’re getting pretty irritated my man. Maybe put on some Saturday morning cartoons and sit on the couch for awhile

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Probably time you step away from the computer for the day anyways, you’re getting pretty irritated my man. Maybe put on some Saturday morning cartoons and sit on the couch for awhile
Whats wrong with Saturday morning cartoons? Metv is where it's at, one hour each morning too!

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
URIs status starting as a land grant then becoming a sea grant college influenced that... they also were one of only a handful to offer a marine affairs undergrad program. It's an interesting program for sure, although, we didn't have many enrollees. I first matriculated as a chem egr and shifted over, partly because I was enjoying so many different egr fields.

At one of our properties we had a co-op for the electric utilities which was actually about the best I've ever seen or heard of.

For only covering about 20,000 homes and buying most of their power from GA Power's coal plants they were very forward thinking and actually generated an amount of their own power.

A couple cool things they did was hold the effect of an IPO for their customers from time to time. You would, if desired, sign up to buy $50 "units" in solar fields they wanted to build. For each unit you owned actually got a credit each month off your electric bill for as long as you were a customer that reflected the power generation pro-rata of your shares from the field each month. Then, if you moved away, you got a refund or offset in your final bill of the same $50 for each unit you bought.

It allowed the utility to become more self sufficient at zero cost, and on the backside, as people moved the utility then 'owned' the panels and sold that electric for value instead of giving the consumer the credits.

I feel like it must've been 6 or 10 years ago now where the tesla power wall was supposed to be a thing... as well as their solar generating roof tiles in very eye pleasing designs. If more time and effort was put into THAT technology more leaps and bounds would be made, but, it hasn't seen the effort.

I remember reading a trade article in the mid-teens... had to be around 2013, 2015, something like that. Here's the crux of what it got to. Transmission losses in dense populated areas were greater than those in rural areas..aggregated over the year, the energy units lost were greater than the energy units content in all the fuel burned in automotive applications combined in that same year.

As a whole, although publicly regulated most power generation is for profit. That explains their resistance in being against homeowner power generation, and not wanting private parties to have reverse flow meters or penalizing them with fees built in instrrat of straight even flow credits - part accounted for by, as you said, the base load vs ramping issue and that most solar production happens during periods of already excess capacity or low demand.

Easiest answer that pops into my head is staggered ev charging, where there is a system assigned by the utility provider. With smart meters these days it wouldn't be the hardest concept to separately meter ev charging, and, you have a remove activation from the power company staggered through the middle of the night. Companies can already turn on/off service through some smart meters, so sending staggered signals through the night isn't a huge challenge. To the owner, you still plug in at night and wake up in the morning fully charged. Not as controversial as discharging the private property batteries for electric company profit while degrading the cells either.
All good stuff you’re saying man. A lot of that stuff is staple in the utility world now, great that you were attentive to it when it was in the early days.

A lot of utilities are for-profit, and investor-owned. But a lot are also cooperatives (mostly in rural America), where each consumer is a member-owner and has stake in the utility. These Co-ops are not profit oriented, but rather reliability oriented.

Aside from losing some profits on consumer generation, another problem is transmission backfeed from overgeneration. Looking back at the duck curve, there is low usage in the middle of the day, around noon. However, that’s when the sun is at its brightest, which leads to maximum solar generation. One thing we can’t have in the utility world is more generation than there is load - it needs to be balanced at all times. The minute we have more power being produced than there is power being consumed, we have major problems.

A solution to that is energy storage (whether it’s batteries, EVs, flywheels, water reservoirs, thermal, etc). When solar production is at a high, store that energy for use later in the evening when load is higher.

Been a pleasure discussing this stuff with you. Feels like I’m at work right now haha

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
(Says on PAGE ELEVEN of this thread)
I lost interest at “Tesla”, “LS swap”’, and “EV’s”.

Shrugs, and moves on.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Aside from losing some profits on consumer generation, another problem is transmission backfeed from overgeneration. Looking back at the duck curve, there is low usage in the middle of the day, around noon. However, that’s when the sun is at its brightest, which leads to maximum solar generation. One thing we can’t have in the utility world is more generation than there is load - it needs to be balanced at all times. The minute we have more power being produced than there is power being consumed, we have major problems.

A solution to that is energy storage (whether it’s batteries, EVs, flywheels, water reservoirs, thermal, etc). When solar production is at a high, store that energy for use later in the evening when load is higher.
All true stuff here. But, going back to efficiency... if you encourage, and utilize, that homeowner generated supply the transmission loss from my house to 6 others on my street at noontime is almost nothing. The loss from plant to the street is still 6%, 10%, etc.

It makes far more sense to sequester that excess production at or near the plant from the base for use at later peak, right? Even better, convert that excess base into other uses, mainly government/public consumption. Run more electric light rail. Open clean waste incineration plants. Convert diesel public works vehicles (thinking garbage haulers, etc not plow trucks) to ev and recharge them for the next morning runs. Run desalination plants with pipelines for ag products in areas like California, especially given waterfront nuke plants.

Thinking outside the box is what's needed to re imagine things. These days I'm so far out on the tech side I'm not a lot of implementation use. It'd almost be kinda fun to be in a think tank though hahaha.

Been a pleasure discussing this stuff with you. Feels like I’m at work right now haha

Likewise, although almost sorry to ruin your off time lol. It kind of reminds me of conversations we had in college. There's was a bar that always had a minimum of 69 drafts on tap, and for two hours each day it was $1 a draft. We'd head out there and have conversation like this while drinking. Place put out a free buffet too, different food every day. Good stuff too, roast turkey, Swedish meatballs, lasagna, so on so forth. It was good times.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
All true stuff here. But, going back to efficiency... if you encourage, and utilize, that homeowner generated supply the transmission loss from my house to 6 others on my street at noontime is almost nothing. The loss from plant to the street is still 6%, 10%, etc.

It makes far more sense to sequester that excess production at or near the plant from the base for use at later peak, right? Even better, convert that excess base into other uses, mainly government/public consumption. Run more electric light rail. Open clean waste incineration plants. Convert diesel public works vehicles (thinking garbage haulers, etc not plow trucks) to ev and recharge them for the next morning runs. Run desalination plants with pipelines for ag products in areas like California, especially given waterfront nuke plants.

Thinking outside the box is what's needed to re imagine things. These days I'm so far out on the tech side I'm not a lot of implementation use. It'd almost be kinda fun to be in a think tank though hahaha.

Likewise, although almost sorry to ruin your off time lol. It kind of reminds me of conversations we had in college. There's was a bar that always had a minimum of 69 drafts on tap, and for two hours each day it was $1 a draft. We'd head out there and have conversation like this while drinking. Place put out a free buffet too, different food every day. Good stuff too, roast turkey, Swedish meatballs, lasagna, so on so forth. It was good times.
Hey don’t sell yourself short, sounds like you’ve been pretty insightful to me!

I like the point you brought up about having generation, storage, and load all relatively close to one another - cutting losses almost entirely like that is a major win.

You may already know about these, but micro-grids are a topic of interest for me. They basically encapsulate everything you just said. Some are grid-tied, others are completely on their own, yet have no problem being fully self sustaining. The Philadelphia Navy Yard is a great example - it’s an excellent place to read up on if you are ever bored

Haha, those college times sound fun for sure. I imagine that bar never had any empty seats - you best believe I would have been there.

Great minds are great company - don’t worry, you’re not ruining my time off haha

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I didn't think we were talking about politics, the topic of EVs and their future came up so that's what the conversation evolved into. I haven't mentioned politics once

Also, if this is a hot rod forum, then what's your car doing here bud?
It’s not politics -
It’s not the government -
It’s not the end of the world.

25 years ago everyone thought hotrodding was over because of EFI. Then a Vortec 350 was released.

Then an LT1, which was the end of all ends imo - 400 hp and street legal and and offered by an OEM.

Enter LS, Coyote, modern Hemi. why? Because if emissions and demand.

I hope that some day I can have an Electric power source in the back seat that will drive my car 300 miles to the next track so that I can fire up the big motor under the hood.

Innovation isn’t the enemy - it’s the solution.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
It’s not politics -
It’s not the government -
It’s not the end of the world.

25 years ago everyone thought hotrodding was over because of EFI. Then a Vortec 350 was released.

Then an LT1, which was the end of all ends imo - 400 hp and street legal and and offered by an OEM.

Enter LS, Coyote, modern Hemi. why? Because if emissions and demand.

I hope that some day I can have an Electric power source in the back seat that will drive my car 300 miles to the next track so that I can fire up the big motor under the hood.

Innovation isn’t the enemy - it’s the solution.

granny vibrator GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
The technology is impressive and seeing where it goes will be interesting with all the R&D being dumped into that format whether it’s the free market deciding or through the help of regulation and subsidies 😀. I have no problem with a future daily driver being EV, but for myself and probably many of us ICE will never go away, EV can’t replicate the feel/sound. Could care less how much faster they might be or with better weight ratio the handling aspects, closest thing I can compare it to is if some supercar pulls up next to me that can “stomp” me, cool, good job, high five, you win, it should win(yawn), but it isn’t nearly as cool the type of car I’m driving, IMO. The sound/feel/look is a bigger factor to me than the performance alone.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor