Moving the temp sender

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Hairdryer..
Yeah. It was my wife's till she saw me using it in the garage. Kinda like her toothbrush. I told her I could get the grease out of it but for some reason she didn't want it back.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
You would probably want one 1/16th inch hole in the thermostat.

That being said, can you use the port in the front drivers side corner of the intake? That would be on the correct side of the thermostat. It still wouldn't be as accurate as the head, but in practice it is not a big deal either way.
Yes that's currently the plan...

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
I recently purchased one for my build and wanted one with a blade connection too, what I had read was that the ones with the blade are for cars with an idiot light instead of a temperature gauge.

Have any of you heard of that, or is that just BS?
I believe at one time that was true. Tried searching for a nonblade type but was told by two different auto parts stores that blade type are all they make now.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Tested two senders. One for a 79 Elky and one i had used in my 76 Chevelle. Neither started out with as high a resistance reading as on the chart but both dropped down to 177 ohms after being heated.

but you need to know the temperature to do the test, in a pot of water on the stove with a thermostat is the way I do it

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
I went looking last night on Rock Auto & only seen the '78 listing the button, '79-'88 list the blade. Might have to be a Fleabay or Amazon search for old stock units with the button or a used functioning unit.

check the link, you can get the button connection on rock auto. i ordered one the other day

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
You would probably want one 1/16th inch hole in the thermostat.

That being said, can you use the port in the front drivers side corner of the intake? That would be on the correct side of the thermostat. It still wouldn't be as accurate as the head, but in practice it is not a big deal either way.
Well, yes, any port with waterflow will work, given the right adapters to fit.
I believe that the highest engine temperature would be found at the flywheel end of the engine, being that is farthest from the water pump. If you can get a sender in the rear most port, it would probably be the best, but up front is easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor