BUILD THREAD my 1980 Grand Prix w/BBC 454 build thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Looks great so far. I used a recip saw to make room for BBC headers at the a-arms on several in the past.

May I ask, what are you planning to use to control the 4L80 transmission?

What geometry control arms or kit did you end up using for the 8.8 swap?

Last edited:

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
May I ask, what are you planning to use to control the 4L80 transmission?

TCI EZ-TCU.

What geometry control arms or kit did you end up using for the 8.8 swap?

The swap kit from Trick Chassis (including some of their optional lower control arms).

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
This was me earlier today:

PieInTheSky_zps8l0j7uol.jpg

Let me explain. This morning I trailered my GP to my exhaust shop and dropped it off. As I mentioned in another thread, my guy has a couple sets of new-in-box headers and he offered to see if either set might be a better fit than what I have tried to make fit (but doesn't). Full of promise, once I left his shop I headed further from home to check out a wrecking yard that might have some of the pulleys and brackets I need to mount my v-belt accessories to my engine.

I have been to this wrecking yard many times, but my last visit was at least 12 years ago. I forgot a lot of things about this place, such as their complete lack of organization. This place doesn't arrange their cars in neat, orderly rows--they don't have time for any prissy stuff like that. Instead, cars are scattered all over the place--usually tightly packed, cheek to jowl, and often three or even four vehicles high--and you have to wander through the entire property to try and find that hidden gem you seek. But even if you find a potential vehicle, you've got to hope that it is in an accessible location or else you're screwed. From a treasure hunter's perspective, it's great. If you're in a hurry, it kinda sucks.

Anyway, I was looking for a big block truck (or car, but I figured a truck would be more likely) that was old enough to not have a serpentine belt setup... and one that had everything intact on the engine. Yeah, yeah, I know--fat chance. But I was at least going to put in an effort and search. So I wandered their entire yard. This often required climbing onto and/or over vehicles, so maybe I could count this as parkour practice.

Way off in the distance--against the fence, stacked on another vehicle, surrounded by other stacks of cars--I found it:

DonorTruck1_zps2yuavzuk.jpg

There was my unicorn--a v-belt 454 with a completely intact engine (less the carb, but who cares). For a second, I thought I heard angelic cries from above as the sun shone down upon it. And while I was able to climb up onto that not-at-all-stable blue Blazer to confirm it was a 454, there was no way I'd be able to remove my needed treasures from that location. I was like the kid in that poster, staring up at my pie in the sky.

Back at the front desk, I explained my predicament to the dude running the place. He was not very sympathetic. "It's not really worth us moving cars around for a couple $5 or $10 items." Having no other choice, I began to beg. He eventually relented, and said he'd radio his guy who was out in the yard right now, using a giant mechanized pivoting forklift to move a different vehicle for a different hapless customer trying to buy a center section out of a differential in some imported SUV. Yes!

Mr. Forklift eventually completed his current task, then graciously followed me across the yard to move a few vehicles for me. Once the truck was on the ground and away from anything unstable, he went on his way back to the front of the yard. I opened the hood and took in the beautiful view:

DonorTruck2_zpst7s5byuy.jpg

I almost cried, I was so happy. It was the exact configuration I wanted to create: long-nose water pump with the alternator at the upper left and power steering pump on the bottom right, and nothing else. "I don't care if I'm late to work," I said out loud to nobody. "I am not leaving this place until I've picked the front of this engine clean."

And even though I did end up being 40 minutes late to work, I didn't care. I got every nut, bolt, washer, spacer, bracket and pulley I needed for my engine... and it all only set me back a measly twenty bucks.

I'm going back to this yard more often.

Reactions: 8 users

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I would have had to buy the whole motor to have those valve covers and intake on general principle...

Reactions: 1 user

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Nice finding those rare gems in yards isn't it. Live it up while you can cause those days are almost all history. Reminds me of a time when i saw a 60's Buick special with a Rover Aluminum 215cid in the junkyard, won't see that anymore. By the way your posts are very well written and enjoyable to read, Keep up the progress.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
My exhaust guy had two sets of new-in-box Flowtech headers that he thought might work. The first is part number 11132:
big-11132flt_w.jpg

The second is part number 11130:
big-11130flt_w_ml.jpg

Just looking at them in person, I was pretty confident the 32s weren't going to work. I thought the 30s might have a chance, given enough massaging. Either way, Rick said he would put the car in the air and test fit both to see which one might be the better choice.

Late Friday afternoon, I got a call from Rick. He said the 32s are totally a no-go; the leading tube (tries to) go right through the motor mount assembly. Okay, no big deal. But then he told me something unexpected: the headers currently on my car are actually identical to the 30s. That exact design has been copied and sold under a few names--including generic names like Summit Racing's own house brand--and it seems I've got one of those. Clearly, it wouldn't make any sense to buy a new set of the same headers and start bashing them, too.

Monday morning, I got another call from Rick. He and his son had discussed my situation at length and they came up with a strategy to make my current headers fit... and now the headers were fully bolted to the car. Great! I told him to proceed with installing the Pypes system as originally planned.

Late that afternoon, I showed up with my trailer. This was my first chance to see their fix for the header issue. What did they do? About the only thing they could do, actually: they cut one pipe (the one Mike and I squished in half) off the header and grafted in a replacement that was routed so as to avoid contacting the suspension of the car. It's not exactly pretty, but it is definitely functional. I am completely fine with that--you know, because Roadkill.

HeaderFix_zpslzxcrz51.jpg

Now that the headers were finally in place, he was able to install the rest of the Pypes system.

ExhaustUnder_zpsyq3lypqf.jpg

I didn't want the two tailpipes to point straight out the back of the car under the bumper. Instead, I had him cut them and have them dump behind each rear tire, sorta like the Grand National did. Here is a shot from ground level:

ExhaustBehind_zpsutimuc92.jpg

Now that the car is back at home, I can dig into it and get things done. Of course, that meant it was time to make it official Roadkill. This morning, I took a piece of cardboard, grabbed a Sharpie, and wrote out my very own To Do list. I made sure to leave room for adding more things to the list as they come up.

Cardboard_zpsauvn8xqu.jpg

We're getting close.

Reactions: 1 users

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
That turned out pretty clean. Exhaust looks great. I bet you can't wait to hear it run.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I have the mid mount alternator bracket like this one: ebay #121818665291

I run these CVF Racing pulleys: ebay # 110914825656 (I have use the with a two groove lower pulley for power steering)

I tried running a couple big blocks without the bypass hose on the water pump and was having issues with temp spikes, even with holes drilled in the thermostat.

I also have great success with the CS130 alternators like those found on an 88 Caprice with a 305. 105 amp, puts out 55-65 amps at idle speed, perfect for electric fuel pump and cooling fans.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have always liked the exhaust coming out the sides like a GN to me it looks cleaner since you are not looking at two feet of pipe running under the rear quarter.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
I have the mid mount alternator bracket like this one: ebay #121818665291

My plan was to use the brackets off that junkyard truck. However, I somehow managed to lose the upper clamshell piece. (?!?) This may not be the disaster it sounds like, because that bracket bolts on to the intake manifold in a place where my RPM AirGap does not have a threaded hole. Instead, I swiped a chrome arm from my friend Mike for the top piece (and used the lower pieces from the truck). Here is how that turned out:

AltMount1_zpsqavbdfe9.jpg

AltMount2_zpsc7hgjwov.jpg

AltMount3_zpswvagm45a.jpg

In that first photo, you can see one of the truck's PS brackets bolted to the engine. I was hoping to use my car's PS pump and bolt it to the truck brackets, but my pump has its mounting holes in the wrong places so it's a no-go. The truck's pump was in poor condition, so I think I'll order a new truck pump and mount it in my car.

I'm still working on the radiator hose problem....

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor