My Bu's "Re"Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Re: My Bu's "Re"Build Thread- New Parts 3/31

Been working on the car a lot lately. Got the transmission in with the new crossmember. Also got the rear installed with the new arms and shocks. Will get pictures of all that later.

I also managed to get my new tucked bumpers painted and that I do have pictures of. If any of you have seen any of my other paint projects you know i'm not real good, so I was pretty nervous about doing it again.

2k primer.

3 coats black base. Laid better than my previous attempts but not real good. The ends were ok by my standards but the face of the bumper was pushing it.

Since i'm on a time crunch and this was more about testing a new color(car will most likely be painted in the fall), I decided to push on. 1 mid coat. Doesn't show the color much but that's kind of the idea. However the texture was starting to look better.

Then 3 coats of clear. Pretty happy with the results.

That's not dust in the last pic. The camera showed the pearls in the paint a little funny.

Reactions: 1 user

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ

Pritty colors :D

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Lookin' good, James.
I'm diggin' the color....and the flake. No, not the guy in the reflection... :lol:

I guess the car is going thru a transformation.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH

Lol, thanks guys. Ya i'd say it's got a bit of a transformation going on. Going a little more drag oriented for now, but nothing is permanent.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH

Alright here's some picture updates. Iv'e got the transmission back in with the 3000 stall and Iceman crossmember. Also the 8.5 rear with 4.10's and Spohn adjustable upper arms and boxed lowers. Comp drag shocks all the way around and trick springs in the front. Weld wheels as well. Just got the front bumper installed tonight too.

Bad picture but you can see new transmission and crossmember.

And a shot of the rear.

New wheels.

Bumper installed.

DeltaT

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2010
Looks mean! Nice work.

Jim

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
DeltaT said:
Looks mean! Nice work.

Jim

Thanks Jim!

Well the track canceled again due to weather. So since i'm dying to see how the car works with the changes i've made, it was time for some back road test and tune. Seems promising.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Wow, well I guess I haven't updated this for awhile. I know this is from last summer but i'll try to make a quick rundown to bring it to the present. The weather finally cooperated and I made it to the track. The bad news is the engine broke another ring or two in practice. I decided I was gonna run it anyway. It survived the first class(of three), running the 50 shot every race. Took first place in that class. I thought maybe it would be a good idea to pull out of the next class(the main class of the night-most cars), and try to save the car for the last class. Thankfully me buddy reminded me that it would mean more to win the open class than the other one. So we upped the nitrous to a 100 shot and went for it. She held together to win that class and a win in thew third class. It was a good night even going home with a broken car! This is the only video from that night, this was still the first class and you can see all the blowby.

Another friend let me use a shortblock he had laying around so we could make the next race. Unfortunately the track closed down before I could go back. There is new owners this year but I haven't heard anything about re-starting the short drags.

Now for the good stuff. My main goal this spring was to get the body in order and some paint sprayed but some things changed. I stil plan to paint but i'm also hoping to add some more power. Starting with this.

More pics to come as stuff arrives!

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Included in my new parts for this year is a new frame. So I decided to start with a notch and go from there. It has already been stripped, repaired, and coated.

And for reference this is before the notch. If you look close, you can see where I made the first cut.

I got a little carried away.

I also added control arm braces from JTRacecraft.

And here's the finished product.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor