My Ford Truck Project (And Other Projects)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Bit of a frustrating day. Amp and wiring harness for the head unit came in the mail today. The connector on the back of the radio that goes to the amp was cut, so i had to repair it. Before I got into that, I had to remove all the sticky old electrical tape, which made a mess of my hands and my desk. Finally got all of the stickiness removed and so I cut off the needed connector from the Thunderbird harness and stripped the ends, soldered them and heat shrunk them.

20200731_160112.jpg
20200731_161659.jpg
20200731_162335.jpg

Taped up the harness with Super 33 electrical tape to make it neat and plugged things in.

20200731_195334.jpg

It worked fine, except the CD player wouldn't eject the CDs. It played them, but won't eject them. I took the head unit all apart (several times) and traced the problem back to this-

20200731_195222.jpg

Friction roller for the disc is worn out. The gear just spins loosely on the axle and so does the rubber roller. I guess I could try to glue it but I don't see that lasting long. So for now I threw the old tape deck back in. I have the harness, the amp and the bracket, so if I find another head unit I can swap it in. The head units are easier to come by than the other stuff.

20200731_194827.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I wonder if you can buy that roller online? I know I got a bunch of stuff to fix the Kenwood I’m using currently.

Nov 4, 2012
I wonder if you can buy that roller online? I know I got a bunch of stuff to fix the Kenwood I’m using currently.

There is at least one more of these head units up at Millerstown. The face plate on it isn't as nice, but the faceplates just pop off, easy to swap. Probably worth a gamble.

Only problem is that its locked inside the car...

61dqiemzYNL._AC_SS350_.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Atleast the the CD player part works. It could be like my Camaro one that can't read a disk.
Huh. Signs point to a Camaro that can't read.

Usually it's their owners in the park that can't do that, musta picked up bad habits in its past.

Meanwhile, the cd players we have from mustangs can read just fine... you know, being more civilized and educated and all:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
Why do I even bother? Wasn't doing anything today, so I went up to Millerstown and grabbed that other head unit. I was in and out in 5 minutes. Got home, plugged it in, same problem. Fukk. Then before I could get the tape deck back in it started pouring rain, so all the tools and everything are still out in the truck to be put back together later.

I hate to even ask this, but is there a decent bluetooth single din that doesn't look like a knockoff Chinese flea market toy? Local radio is just lousy and has seemingly gotten worse and I'm tired of listening to the same 10 cassette tapes.

Reactions: 2 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Why do I even bother? Wasn't doing anything today, so I went up to Millerstown and grabbed that other head unit. I was in and out in 5 minutes. Got home, plugged it in, same problem. Fukk. Then before I could get the tape deck back in it started pouring rain, so all the tools and everything are still out in the truck to be put back together later.

I hate to even ask this, but is there a decent bluetooth single din that doesn't look like a knockoff Chinese flea market toy? Local radio is just lousy and has seemingly gotten worse and I'm tired of listening to the same 10 cassette tapes.
Depends on what you want out of it. Are you going to run an amp, or use the one in radio? Either way most of them look like something out of Knight Rider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor