New personal best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clipclop80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 9, 2021
IMG_3986[1].JPG

Definitely more there, but 124.75MPH sustained blasting on the highway tonight. Our highways are definitely not freeway quality.
FUN! -until the air starts getting underneath....
Previous best was 121.52MPH and started to crow-hop.
Without any air dam / GFX, it held surprisingly well tonight.

• Dislike
  • Angry
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
View attachment 176948
Definitely more there, but 124.75MPH sustained blasting on the highway tonight. Our highways are definitely not freeway quality.
Nice car, and congrats on the speed.

But I can't condone the speed to that extreme on a public right of way. It endangers others, and.in a wreck - even if nobody's around - it also needlessly strains police and fire resources.

Tracks are where it's at.

• Agree
Reactions: 9 users

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
Nice Car There...wheelies and peely's

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Nice Lemans, but I think the rear tires sticking out are causing drag and limiting your speed.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
According to GM the G body cars were governor limited because they would “fly off the road like a frisbee”. Be careful
I still have not heard or seen where this was true. Not arguing, because it was a rumor started in the early 80's. HOWEVER, this is my history of it. My dad LOVED the malibu body style, and wanted to build a malibu drag car in the 83-84 time frame so it would have been one of the first ones out of such a new car. BUT, Modified racer Larry Kopp built one in 1980 (look it up, it was a cool car but not many pictures of it) which I think ran low 10's and the car soon disappeared. My dad's answer and the reason we went with the 68 nova was that Larry Kopp could not keep the car stable at speed and got rid of the car. He figured if Larry Kopp with his money and skill could not get the car straightened out, my father was not going to waste his money trying to do it. But I I question this today seeing lots of people with stock suspension cars going in the 10's with really no work done to them. It wasn't the famous g-body shuffle because Kopp's car was a backhalved car anyway. So it must have had something to do with the front body design. We did wind up going 9.60's at 138 with the Nova before it was sold.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
View attachment 176948

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Compared to an F body, G body’s sit high and have a sloppy suspension. By today’s standards that would include the VIN9 cars. I haven’t tested my cars high speed limits but I can tell you at feels like crap at high-speed. Certainly not like a Corvette. I suspect the GM engineers were being proactive and safety conscious when they added the governor. I checked an original Eagle GT tire in my stash for a speed rating and couldn’t find any info on the sidewall other than TPC spec 1042 but I suspect that only indicates meeting a federal requirement. Tire speed rating probably also played a role.

1622814462397.jpeg

1622814490738.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
View attachment 176948

WHY ???

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor