Old School Meets New - Supercharged LSA into Grand National

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAWSS

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2009
Ft.Hood, Texas
Re: Old School Meets New - Supercharged LSA into Grand Natio

Any updates on this? I am very interested in the final product and see it in action. Great job on everything so far!!

DeltaT

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2010

Been slowly cleaning up the engine compartment so I can start test-fitting the engine and suspension. Also removed the steering shaft tonight and cut the rag joint so I could remove it from the shaft. I'm going to fit it with new Flaming River u-joints to connect up to 670 steering box by the same folks.

I'm d@mned if I'm going to get all the new parts filthy by getting them anywhere near the bay the way it was:

dsc03051-jpg.215945

After a lot of elbow grease and scraping with various putty knives:

dsc03073-jpg.215946

I'm not going for sterile now, just paintable. The bad news was at least 5lbs. of greasy, oily dirt and grunge. The good news was the frame was completely protected by this crap so there is not a spot of rust anywhere I have uncovered to date, and the car is already lighter!

I still need to remove the harness, take it apart and get rid of the stuff I won't need. I'll replace the wire looms where I can and clean where I can't - I doubt that OE oval stuff is available for prices less than insane. Anyone know a source?

This weekend I am planning to test-fit the front suspension and brakes, then try to have time to test the placement of the motor (with no blower or accessories on it) with the solid mounts on the frame side and the Dirty Dingo adjustables on the motor side.

If that goes well I will do last cleaning and a wipe with acetone then prime. Then spray with Eastwood Chassis Black, the matte (more like a satin than a flat).

The future holds a frame-off build, but right now I need to get this together before the state of CA gets upset about how long it's taking to pass smog. One cool thing was the GM dealer offered to write a letter explaining what I bought and when, to help show progress and plans.

The test-fitting of the suspension will be auto p*rn for sure, cuz it's all the good stuff I'm been working for and buying for the last year and a half. Just ordered the last piece - the coilovers. More on that when they arrive.

Stay tuned.

Jim

DeltaT

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2010

Last night's photos were the opposite of auto p*rn :roll:

Here's some of the new front suspension bits that I'll be test-fitting to the car this weekend - I already checked each part with its various mates and everything is cool:

dsc03079-jpg.216030

These Wilwood calipers will become my rear brakes later when I figure out what wheels I can fit and save up for them. I already have the 14" rotors but put these 13" ones on (with a different caliper bracket) as the huge Wilwood W6A calipers won't accept a 13" rotor - no brackets available - and I can't fit my current 17" wheel over them. These fit.

The spindles are ATS forged aluminum tall AFX with the ZR1 spindles. The SPC control arms have the Howe modular ball joints.

More steering & suspension stuff this weekend.

Jim

DeltaT

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2010

Started priming as sections got their final clean with mineral spirits. If you don't prime right away the bare frame starts to rust pretty much right away.

Got the upper control arm mounts done and one side - the other outside, both lowers and both areas above the lower rear control arm mounts still have some deep cleaning needed. Tomorrow I will wrap up the cleaning and priming and shoot the first coat of chassis black.

dsc03090-jpg.216121

Pass. side:

dsc03092-jpg.216122

Jim

corrupted

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2014

Man... This awesome. What a great build so far.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA

What a great build. :popcorn: Looking at your frame cleaning is convincing me to just get another frame for the mods I'm planing, then put my body on it. Rust is the only reason I wish I found my car on the west coast. Mine is a New York car. :roll:

xodruxo

Apprentice
Feb 21, 2010
Denver, Dollarado

Wow.... you got me hooked so don't stop with the goodies....

DeltaT

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2010

Thanks, guys.

Done with priming. Taking a quick coffee break then busting out the black! I am so glad to be done with this round of scraping & cleaning - the rest of the engine compartment will be easy in comparison.

dsc03094-jpg.216174

The most useful tool for this job was a flexible stainless steel putty knife. I also got 5 rolls of the blue shop paper towels on sale and have used almost 4 of them so far. I normally use shop towels but not for grease because if you try to wash them it will ruin the washing machine (or at least create a 4-hr. cleaning session). Luckily I learned that lesson before I was married.

The most important tools have been nitrile gloves (from Harbor Freight) which are good for most painting-related chemicals and a good quality gas mask - mine's this 3M one:

Organic-Vapor-Respirator-300.jpg

Oh yeah, and safety glasses as well. The solvents in good paint (read the Eastwood label sometime) pass through your eye like it's a cheap windowscreen.

I used mineral spirits for final cleaning and the nitrile gloves are rated Excellent with mineral spirits. The old days of cleaning stuff barehanded in gasoline are long-gone!

Off to paint. As soon as this black is dry I can do some cleanup then hang one side of the suspension. That's the fun part :D

Jim

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Jim, check gbody parts, or kirbans for tge oval cinduit and clips. I will be getting them for my wagon. When i get in my computer I'll post the link for you.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor