Operation Lipstick on a Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how the engine is cooling if the thermostat is closed? I feel like we must be missing something here. Man, that's a new one on me.

Yup, above 40-50* or so, heat works and engine comes up to t-stat temp as normal (around 190*). Heat works, electric fans work, everything is good.... Let the temp drop below that, and stuff gets squirrelly. Temp gauge stays low and no heat....
I even pulled the t-stat last night to make sure it wasn't stuck open, and it was good. I got to thinking about it, and backflushing the heater core won't do anything since it's ambient air related. I guess it just becomes a VW in cold weather? :wtf:

Seems like coolant must be bypassing the thermostat or the thermostat is not closing like it should, after it opens. What is your coolant mix?

Reactions: Rktpwrd
Are your fans running when they shouldn't?

im telling you

its just how these GM engines are

I have 3 of them for daily drivers all do the same thing

it usually gets warmed up as your pulling up to your destination!!

• Haha
Reactions: fleming442
Yeah, it's jacked up. 35* on the way home from work, drove 45 minutes at sub 155 temps, stopped at schleven, get back in, and it's up to 190 from heat soak. By the time I drove home, about another 10 minutes, it was back down to 155-160ish.
I think I'll book an appointment at the UMD wind tunnel to do some testing......🙄 don't I wish

Yeah, it's jacked up. 35* on the way home from work, drove 45 minutes at sub 155 temps, stopped at schleven, get back in, and it's up to 190 from heat soak. By the time I drove home, about another 10 minutes, it was back down to 155-160ish.
I think I'll book an appointment at the UMD wind tunnel to do some testing......🙄 don't I wish
Does your thermostat have one of those engineered holes in the diaphragm that allows water to pass when closed?

Does your thermostat have one of those engineered holes in the diaphragm that allows water to pass when closed?
It's a $43 fah king Motorad from NAPA. When it works, it works great- rock steady. b*tch just don't work in the cold.
But, yeah, it has a bypass hole with a little loose valve type doohickey in it.

It's a $43 fah king Motorad from NAPA. When it works, it works great- rock steady. b*tch just don't work in the cold.
But, yeah, it has a bypass hole with a little loose valve type doohickey in it.
If the 3800 is made with a water pump bypass hose, you can go to a solid diaphragm thermostat to get less loss to the radiator. Although, you could use a restrictor fitting on that hose to help more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor