Optima battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Believe it or not, I've actually seen Lifetime warranty batteries, 2 of them in the last 6 months. One of them was an Autonation or CarMax, the other I don't remember. Actually had a big sticker covering the whole side in big letters, LifeTime Warranty! The customer bought a battery from us in one case cause it was too much of a PITA to drive 15 miles there to get a replacement.....on a Sunday...when they're closed. and didn't want to wait until Monday. IIRC, the other customer decided to try and get a free replacement.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Believe it or not, I've actually seen Lifetime warranty batteries, 2 of them in the last 6 months. One of them was an Autonation or CarMax, the other I don't remember. Actually had a big sticker covering the whole side in big letters, LifeTime Warranty! The customer bought a battery from us in one case cause it was too much of a PITA to drive 15 miles there to get a replacement.....on a Sunday...when they're closed. and didn't want to wait until Monday. IIRC, the other customer decided to try and get a free replacement.
Autonation had them, but they were expensive. Nothing special about the battery other than banking on you not keeping the car long enough to go through enough units to where they lose money.

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Autonation had them, but they were expensive. Nothing special about the battery other than banking on you not keeping the car long enough to go through enough units to where they lose money.
Thats when you keep the old battery, so that when you buy a new vehicle the AGM goes into that, and the old one goes back into the car thats being sold.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Thats when you keep the old battery, so that when you buy a new vehicle the AGM goes into that, and the old one goes back into the car thats being sold.
Nothing so sneaky. They add the car into the dealer network. If you try to get a replacement battery for something other than the original car.... Warranty denied.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Nothing so sneaky. They add the car into the dealer network. If you try to get a replacement battery for something other than the original car.... Warranty denied.
Really? That is some bull ish honestly.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Really? That is some bull ish honestly.
All depends how you look at it.

To them, they're warranting selling a battery for the life of a particular car.

To you, I think the idea is you're buying a battery that is supposed to last forever for one price.

Just depends what you think you're buying. I looked at them a couple years ago when the mustang battery got weak. At the time it was $279.99 +Tax. But there's plenty of restrictions, and you need to bring things back to them to get a replacement which is inconvenient in a lot of areas of the country, so...

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
$100 pub tab? Must be some ritzy joint or lack of planning.

I frequent bars with 20oz pours off draft for $2 with a decent catered buffet at happy hour. Then again, if I felt like slumming it I go for the 50 cent schlitz.
From the guy that put me down for Keystone smh

I'm like a camel, I remember......oh wait......like a camel to store the water from the Keystone. I'm like an elephant and remember too much (been told I have a nice trunk too)

;)

Batteries - virtually every battery manufacturer in the US repackages their batteries with whoever's label will pay them. The markup on batteries is like furniture - 300-500% depending where you buy.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'll never own another Optima unless it's free, I tell you what. After 2 cars I got Optima red tops for (both 2002 Camaros), they both failed to keep a charge and they weren't very old. Junk in my eyes, especially for the premium price. Had the lead-acid OEM battery in my 2010 GMC finally go after 8 years. Bought a die hard for it when Sears still had them, and never looked back.

Got Duralast AGM from Otter Zone (which looks IDENTICAL to an ACDelco AGM, other than stickers) for the 87 and it's still going strong. Keep it on the CTEK float charger during storage and I think it's a keeper. It's hard to determine a reliably good brand of battery nowadays since it's almost a monopoly for who makes them, regardless of price.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
After 2 cars I got Optima red tops for (both 2002 Camaros), they both failed to keep a charge and they weren't very old. Junk in my eyes, especially for the premium price.
I’ve heard this before. Most of the time it’s because the owners do not use a proper trickle charger for an AGM battery or they completely kill the charge and expect it to perform flawlessly after. I personally like the yellow tops better than the red tops. I’ll keep buying them for the Oldsmobile.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
worst battery's I ever owned is Exide battery's and optima battery's

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor