Our 79 Monte Carlo- Pro Touring Project

UMI Performance

Master Mechanic
GBodyForum Sponsor
Jul 9, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
pontiacgp said:
Are planning on boxing the C channel of the frame? I like that shop you have, it's huge. Do you get a chance to work on your circle track car there?

I think later on we are going to box the frame, maybe pull the body off and do it complete next winter. So that is future plans.

Ramey has been wanting to get a circle track in here but we haven't yet haha.

Thanks for comments on the shop! We actually did some painting and it looks a little better now. That is just a 3rd of the building... we have 35,000 sq ft total. The other sections have shipping, assembly, inventory, powder coat, sand blasting, welding, CNC machining centers, manual machines and a Laser cutter. Basically everything you need to build suspension parts :)

Reactions: 1 user

JasonL

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2012
awesome !!!! I am building a 80. I am interested in a rear control arm set from you guys. I have a 3.73 rear and 1" drop springs. Do you suggest the tubular or the boxed?

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
JasonL said:
awesome !!!! I am building a 80. I am interested in a rear control arm set from you guys. I have a 3.73 rear and 1" drop springs. Do you suggest the tubular or the boxed?
Hey Jason.

Both types are very strong. You can actually pick based on visual preference. Let me know more about your car and I can help you pick.

Thanks for considering UMI.

-- Ramey

UMI Performance

Master Mechanic
GBodyForum Sponsor
Jul 9, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
Making a little more progress on the Monte project. Last week we had two new pieces of equipment come in (CNC Laser Cutter and CNC Turning Center) so it didn't allow us much shop time for working on cars.

Right now we are working on building the front brake bracket to mount the C5 calipers. The hub and rotors fit good as you can see below. You will have to cut some of the spindle. Once the kit is complete will have more pictures to share.

02111.jpg

02112.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It's looking good. Is it just my imagination or have you done some work on the exhaust ports in the head. They seem to look larger than normal.

and I think it would be real nice of to give Ramey some room for his modified.... :)

UMI Performance

Master Mechanic
GBodyForum Sponsor
Jul 9, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
Viking front and rear shocks just came in!

A Big Thanks to Viking Performance for coming aboard and helping with our G-Body build. With the Viking front coil over kit and rear shocks we will run the front of the car 2 to 2-1/2" lower and drop the rear 2" with drop springs.

More pictures to come of these babies installed and in action!

02192.jpg

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Subscribing...Great Score and I'm thrilled you went with a Monte. My 1st G-Body was a '79, still love that era 8)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
what spring rates does Viking offer and what's the adjustment parameters on the shocks....

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
pontiacgp said:
what spring rates does Viking offer and what's the adjustment parameters on the shocks....

Hey GP.

0-3" lowering on the shock which is more out at the wheel. Basically it can go sky high or all the way down on the bump stops.

Send me a mail to [email protected] (I can't remember if I have your regular mail) and I'll send you a PDF of the dyno sheets. The shocks have 19 clicks each on Compression and Rebound.

Many thanks

--ramey

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor