PLEASE HELP! Am I screwed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Mark, you must have missed that he is running a hydraulic throwout bearing from a 4th Gen Camaro. I'm not sure we know where the clutch master cylinder came from, but my guess is 4th Gen Camaro. It's a T5 transmission from a 3rd Gen Camaro.

He said the hydraulic set up but they came with a hydraulic slave cylinder

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Jared I did not know that but I suspected a hydraulic system. Still, the throwout bearing can not be contacting the pressure plate and keeping it from engaging. Somewhere there is a problem with clearances. Since he stated he got the car with a burnt clutch I can only assume the problem has been with it from the get-go and no one has diagnosed it yet.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Steve aren't you running a hydraulic TOB? What is the procedure for checking the clearance? Or does it stay in contact?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Steve aren't you running a hydraulic TOB? What is the procedure for checking the clearance? Or does it stay in contact?

I did run a Howe hydraulic throw out. It needs a .60 or1/6" clearance between the bearing and fingers. It's easy to set up, you install the bell housing, using a straight edge measure from the edge of the bell housing to the fingers, then slide the throwout bearing on, with the straight edge measure from the front face of the throw out bearing to the front face of the transmission casing which you adjust until that measurement less than the other measurement by .060 or 1/16"

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
So it still needs to be NOT touching the PP fingerts. How is that adjusted? Shims behind the TOB? I'm betting someone goofed way back at square one and no one has caught it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
So it still needs to be NOT touching the PP fingerts. How is that adjusted? Shims behind the TOB? I'm betting someone goofed way back at square one and no one has caught it.

the Howe uses shims, I didn't use any shims in my set up. The Mcleod throwout bearing I ordered is adjusted this way. I just looked this up and the clearance for the Mcleod is greater than the Howe .100" to .150" maximum. I forgot a 0 in the clearance for the Howe, I said .60 is actually .060 ...... .60 is a little more than 1/2"....:doh:

1400-series-hydraulic-throw-out-bearing-4.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

you have to set it up with the clearance but once you push the pedal to release the clutch when you engage the clutch if you look at the bearing it will touching the fingers. The fingers force the cylinder to retract into the housing so the cylinder only retracts that far. That helps with the pedal not having to travel further as the clutch disk wears down

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
If there isn't sufficient clearance with the 4th Gen Camaro throwout bearing (just a theory now) then either an adjustable hydraulic throwout bearing might be the answer. Or, maybe convert to the stock 3rd Gen Camaro Slave Cylinder/fork setup. It's my understanding there is insufficient clearance for long tube headers with the slave cylinder setup though.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If there isn't sufficient clearance with the 4th Gen Camaro throwout bearing (just a theory now) then either an adjustable hydraulic throwout bearing might be the answer. Or, maybe convert to the stock 3rd Gen Camaro Slave Cylinder/fork setup. It's my understanding there is insufficient clearance for long tube headers with the slave cylinder setup though.

for the Mcleod throw out bearing you need 3" of space

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor