Pontiac 455 from derby car = bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a big fan of the 455s for 30 years. For a street car not accounting for what body it went into I would take the Buick. As for the Pontiac 400 its a great street engine and with the reasonably priced after market rotating assemblies it makes for an outstanding i think its 474. Buick and Pontiac 455s are hard to find around here. Olds were more common and less desirable so you still see them turn up in salvage yards from time to time.

When I was looking for a 350 or 403, I found 2 Buick 455's. One 75 and 76, should have been the stronger block but shitty heads. I found a good 403 but should have picked the better running 455.

You know, GM sent almost every 455 out the door equiped with a Turbo 400 and reasonable rear gears, like 3:08 or 3:23's and expected them to last 100,000 miles. They just let the torque do the talking.

Whew! What a long day of driving. Left at 8am, just got back at 10pm and unloaded the engine. The trans is a 400 9" tail, 4bbl carb, and fairly clean to be so old . Had 109K on it. Fired up fine, fast idle even worked and kicked down like it should. I'll fill you guys in when I have more time to mess with it. Been a long day and I'm beat!

*Block casting is 500813 and it has 6H heads.

Congrats! I'd say you earned many beers and a good night's sleep!

Congrats , I am kinda partial to Pontiacs my self.

Got a good cash of parts if you are in need.

shotgun said:
Congrats , I am kinda partial to Pontiacs my self.

Got a good cash of parts if you are in need.

Care to make any suggestions on a good street car set-up? Everything I've been reading has been focused on cars that see strip duty. Most of the builds I see require 92+ octane or involve forking over the cash on Edlebrock heads. I'm not trying to build a 500hp engine, but maybe 500 ft/lbs of torque would be nice!

The main reason I went with a 455 is that I don't need an engine that's going to rev very high. This brings me to the heads, cam, CR and rear end gear. I'd like to have an OD trans, but in reality vs. cost I probably don't need much gearing with this engine. I also have a TH400 I could use right now, instead of having a 200-4R built to handle the torque.

What would be a good low end grunt cam?

Lastly, since I have heads with 124cc chambers, would it be worth using something diffferent? I found a local guy with a Pontiac 350 for sale that has 6X heads, but he hasn't looked to see if they're the -4's or -8's yet. Either way, he only wants $150 for it complete.

Q-jet
Edelbrock RPM
6X heads
Nunzi 2041 (high lift 068)
Stock botton end (upgraded bolts)
Ram Air manifolds or headers
2 1/2 to 3" or 3" exhaust with x pipe
th400 add 2.75 first gear
3.08 rear
275/60 15 tire

I think the only reason he hasn't sold it yet is because it's been cold outside and he lives in BFE! The nice thing about it is it comes with a q-jet and HEI too. I'm looking at a 220 mile drive one way![/quote]

220 miles isn't nothing, I just drove to kansas on saturday 324 mi 1 way for a 73 gp with a 455.

I also do demo's and not all motors run hot, i've ran several 400's and never cooked one, put one back in a street car and drove it for a year with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor