Priming instead of painting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn1112

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2017
you got it
I will probably have the shop who already gave me a good price do it. I was quotes 3500 to paint it

And it's been that way for nearly 20 years
If you don't mind me asking, who quoted you that price?
I'm just outside of Chgo (Streamwood) myself and am looking for a new painter as my painter retired and closed his shop

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I pulled it out of a friend's barn in Wisconsin. it's the best quote I've gotten so far, they guy does alot of work for one of my friends. Good work at a reasonable price.
Around here that's like a Maco price. Let me clarify yes they advertise $199 for paint but then they charge you for everything they can think of until your ready to walk out then act like your getting a deal to get your money when I first moved back to Jersey from pa I took a job painting there until I found something better I did an over all paint job with a pressure pot every 15 minutes it was insane! Only cleaned the pot once a day whatever color you just finished painting ends up in the first coat of the next car.
On a lighter note if they use a catalyst the primer is 2k and not porous

Reactions: 1 users

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Here its $3500 for mask, primer an paint BC. Body work extra. Bastards !
If you ever want to leave a primer by itself an Epoxy Primer is the choice ! It hardens to the point of a pain to sand an it repels water.
My 86 l paint using a black epoxy an it was outside since last fall with no change. Kind of like the color ! Lol.
Other types of primers are porous an draw water/paint in. This is the reason why there easy to sand also.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
If you are going with the stock silver over black paint scheme, then prime it or have it primed with grey epoxy primer. It holds up very well for a very long time. It will protect the metal from the weather. Do you have a good sized compressor? You could prime it yourself. A decent gun is not that expensive. A gallon of epoxy and the activator (shop line - PPG's private label) will run you a little less than $200. You would still need tape, paper, sand paper, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
My brother's car has been in epoxy since 2009 and he has driven it (as a hobby car) in epoxy for the last few years. Here is what it looked like before it went to the painter.....
78 Camaro parking garage.jpg

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
If you don't mind me asking, who quoted you that price?
Johnny's body shop in Tinley Park. That price was for it to be for when he was slow over the winter. I picked up the car in January and originally planned to give it to him after a few weeks but I needed it longer to get it running good and by that time he was swamped and said he would let me know now when he was ready for it but now I want to give it to him in the fall to do all the body work and make it look good.

Reactions: 2 users

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Most shops do the same to get them threw the winter.
Is it mostly at the bottom ? If so just throw an epoxy stripe around the bottom to get you threw.
You can get epoxy in Aerosol but its thinner an takes twice the coats. Not great but it would work.

shawn1112

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2017
Johnny's body shop in Tinley Park. That price was for it to be for when he was slow over the winter. I picked up the car in January and originally planned to give it to him after a few weeks but I needed it longer to get it running good and by that time he was swamped and said he would let me know now when he was ready for it but now I want to give it to him in the fall to do all the body work and make it look good.
Thanks, I'm not going to be ready for paint till the fall/winter myself. Let's keep in touch, maybe we can get him to do better on 2 cars.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Texas82GP sorry had to lol . You love that car of your brothers !
Yes sir I do. I have a lot of myself in it. Hours and hours of research on the LS swap. Weeks of wiring. A soul annihilating amount of sanding and scraping. 10 years on and off. It will always be special to me.

• Winner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor