Priming instead of painting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Yes sir I do. I have a lot of myself in it. Hours and hours of research on the LS swap. Weeks of wiring. A soul annihilating amount of sanding and scraping. 10 years on and off. It will always be special to me.

That's about as cool as it gets !!! Its always great when you see the final result of the hours you have put into something !

Reactions: 1 user

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
Is it mostly at the bottom ? If so just throw an epoxy stripe around the bottom to get you threw.
You can get epoxy in Aerosol but its thinner an takes twice the coats. Not great but it would work.
The previous owner sanded the almost the whole car now to primer but when down to bare metal. Mainly where the stripes where on the car. passenger side has less bare metal but is thicker due to the moisture from the wall of the barn and almost all the paint is off the driver side but wasnt as bad. Somehow the car is extremely solid and under the surface rust the metal is not bad either, doesnt need blasting just a good sanding. A friend of mine keeps pushing for me to clear coat it and make it a sleeper
ho bad.jpg
ho bad 2.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The previous owner sanded the almost the whole car now to primer but when down to bare metal. Mainly where the stripes where on the car. passenger side has less bare metal but is thicker due to the moisture from the wall of the barn and almost all the paint is off the driver side but wasnt as bad. Somehow the car is extremely solid and under the surface rust the metal is not bad either, doesnt need blasting just a good sanding. A friend of mine keeps pushing for me to clear coat it and make it a sleeper View attachment 64974 View attachment 64975
If that were my car, I would have to have shiney paint.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
I would sand it down an spray it with a gray rust kill paint , then epoxy over that.
But l hate to say it but l don't mind the way it looks, its different !

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
I would sand it down an spray it with a gray rust kill paint , then epoxy over that.
But l hate to say it but l don't mind the way it looks, its different !
It would make killer sleeper but I love the hurst olds paint job. Ive been asked many times if it even runs and why I bought it? But the people that know its a hurst olds can see through its uglyness

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
It would make killer sleeper but I love the hurst olds paint job. Ive been asked many times if it even runs and why I bought it? But to the people that know its a hurst olds can see through its uglyness

For me l'll stare at a car for a day an visualize it different ways.
There just like a woman, take the make-up and clothes off an some make you run.
It all starts with a good solid base to start with. Its going to be real nice when done whether its a Hurst or not, Hurst just changes the $ value.

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
There is a spot in the driver side door where when it sat in the barn some one hit the door with something and left a little dent in the door. its small but would probably look like a door ding when painted. How would this be fixed? bondo? pull it out some how?

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
. Its going to be real nice when done whether its a Hurst or not, Hurst just changes the $ value.
It was a very interesting car because it has eagle gt tires still on it with alot of tread left and the odometer only reads 38,311 miles, practically fully load only missing the block heater option.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
There is a spot in the driver side door where when it sat in the barn some one hit the door with something and left a little dent in the door. its small but would probably look like a door ding when painted. How would this be fixed? bondo? pull it out some how?

Depending on where it is you may be able to take the door panel off an bang it out with hammer an dollie. Take your time work in the reverse it was made, outside to center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor