Pro Touring Big Brake Spindle/Knuckle Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

Apprentice
Nov 5, 2007
Germany
Hi,

i want to buy a big brake kit for my GP, ive disscused with Rick from Bear-Braking over a 14" rotor-6 piston for rear/front complete w/ spindles. He qoutes me an kit with a oe style drop spindle 2", so im not shure whats the best way of spindle for my project.
B-body spindle with global west uppers/lowers w/ tall balljoints or a the g-body drop spindles with tubular uppers/lowers, what i the difference between G-/B-Body on the street, or is it only for rotor clearance ?

Kore3-Tobin told me the best way for my pro-touring project is a AFX Spindles, but thats crazy money for it...have somebody experience with AFX???

9.5 x 22" wheels all around...

Thanks

Robert

85ss808

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2010
Kapolei, HI
I'm no expert and somebody will have to back me up on this but here goes: A relatively easy and cheap way to add bigger brakes is to swap the stock g-body spindles for those from a b-body so you can use (3rd gen?) camaro front brakes which are inherently larger like 11.5" or so. An additional benefit was that you could gain positive caster which creates negative camber while turning and improves handling without creating uneven tire wear. You'll have to look into it but pretty sure the b-body spindle will slightly affect ride height by .5" (not sure if this is higher or lower) this may be a better option than g-body type spindle with 2" drop and your 22's...but depends on what you want and what fits of course. Then also using the b-body spindle requires the use of specific tubular upper control arms (and/or tall upper ball joints?) from the aftermarket like the global west pieces that you mentioned. The last time I looked into this there was somewhere online that explained the requirements for adapting the b-body front spindles and camaro rotors....either way there is a difference in the 2 spindles and like everything, it depends on a lot of variables and what you're looking for in the total package.

AlanB

Greasemonkey
Jul 13, 2010
Trenton NJ area
I have never done the spindle swap so I know only what I have read. The problem with the B body spindle is that is hurts ackerman angle and increases bump steer when used on a G-body. It also changes track width, and therefore wheel backspace requirements, which can be good or bad depending on what wheels you have. SC & C does a very good job of explaining this: http://scandc.com/new/faq#n627.

That being said, lots of people have done the swap and are happy with it, which allows them to run bigger brakes using stock GM parts. Another option that is getting popular is to use spindles and brakes off of certain 98 and newer S-10 trucks. The spindle is a bolt-on and allows use of the bigger brakes on some S-10s. You'll have to search this and other G-body forums to get more info on that one.

If you are buying aftermarket brakes that work with a stock dropped spindle, then I see no advantage to using the B-body spindles. By going with aftermarket brakes, you're eliminating the primary reason for using the B spindles, which is bigger brakes on a budget.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the 12" rotor with the B body spindles use the same caliper and brake pad as the 11" rotor with the f body spindles.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
why not just modify the stock g-body spindle for the LS1 Camaro 12" discs/calipers or what i did and modify it for 13" C5 Corvette calipers and rotors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor