Problem, Knocking..continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
Yea, but hopefully you take care of it. It might run good but you don't know what the inside looks like (maybe you do?) Just be easy use a good oil with a high zinc content and save up money for a good rebuild. It doesn't have to wild just a nice stock rebuild and you'll have a motor that you 100% know will last. Not saying that this one won't but you just never know. Be easy with her and she'll treat you right!

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
CHRIS.O said:
I am glad to see its coming together bud. All those "problems" are just typical things you deal with when playing with cars. Now that you got a 350 in there your gonna have a smile on your face when you crack the throttle open haha. Gonna be a HUGE upgrade from the worn 3.8.

Thanks for the kind words, I am very happy that I have people/friends like you all to help and just be there for me.
I know I cant wait to just push on that gas and feel the power behind it and feel the major difference from factory.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
CamaroAdam73 said:
Yeah stepping to a chevy 350, from a buick 3.8 . You'll break the back tires loose from a stop if you stomp it, so long as that engines tuned in right.

Yeah that's what my brother in law told me, I just cant wait to feel the power and have a car I can be entirely proud to own.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
SScamino said:
Yea, but hopefully you take care of it. It might run good but you don't know what the inside looks like (maybe you do?) Just be easy use a good oil with a high zinc content and save up money for a good rebuild. It doesn't have to wild just a nice stock rebuild and you'll have a motor that you 100% know will last. Not saying that this one won't but you just never know. Be easy with her and she'll treat you right!

Oh yeah I was babying the 3.8 I like to take it easy, do the speed limit don't run it to hard or to the floor.
Unless I am just fooling around for a few minutes up my road, but when get here running completely I have to take her for a speed trip around my block, lol.

But what is the best oil to use, like what do you all use?
Also I was thinking about the rebuild kit too, so I know that when i do that I know for a fact its going to last and perform a little bit better than what I "think" it does now.
No that's the bad part I have never seen the inside and don't know the internal look of it.
But the rebuild will help me with everything though correct?

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Any off the shelf quality oil will work. Just use the conventional oil, with miles on the engine synthetic is a waste and would probably end up causing all sorts of leaks same with Rotella. I use Castrol, Valvoline, Kendall, and Brad Penn. I also use WIX or AC Delco filters. Do you mean your planning on possibly rebuilding the 350 down the road? What do you mean by the rebuild kit will help you with everything? Heres a link about oil
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/ho ... ts/1266801

Your engine is old and already broken in so I wouldnt spend a lot of money on a specialty oil with tons of zinc. Valvoline VR1 has a good zinc additive in it and it doesnt cost too much. The amount of zinc in most off the shelf oils is very low to non existant. Zinc is good for lubricating an engine. The main concern now a days is the flattening of cam lobes on flat tappet camshafts. Zinc highly reduces the chance of that happening. However, like I said I do not think you would have any problem running a regular off the shelf oil since your engine has already been broken in years ago and the likely hood of wiping a cam now is slim although it has happened.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
CHRIS.O said:
Any off the shelf quality oil will work. Just use the conventional oil, with miles on the engine synthetic is a waste and would probably end up causing all sorts of leaks same with Rotella. I use Castrol, Valvoline, Kendall, and Brad Penn. I also use WIX or AC Delco filters. Do you mean your planning on possibly rebuilding the 350 down the road? What do you mean by the rebuild kit will help you with everything? Heres a link about oil
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/ho ... ts/1266801

Your engine is old and already broken in so I wouldnt spend a lot of money on a specialty oil with tons of zinc. Valvoline VR1 has a good zinc additive in it and it doesnt cost too much. The amount of zinc in most off the shelf oils is very low to non existant. Zinc is good for lubricating an engine. The main concern now a days is the flattening of cam lobes on flat tappet camshafts. Zinc highly reduces the chance of that happening. However, like I said I do not think you would have any problem running a regular off the shelf oil since your engine has already been broken in years ago and the likely hood of wiping a cam now is slim although it has happened.

Okay awesome thanks for the link.
Not really rebuilding but in a sense letting me know I have a good engine, because as of now I don't know how it drives or runs really, cause as I stated.
It wont stay started, only if I rev it up if I let go of the gas it just cuts off/dies out.
I have never seen this engine run or seen it drive, so I want to actually run it to know in my mind that it runs great.
But if it runs perfect than I wont mess with any type of rebuild, unless sometime down the road I have to have it.
I am just very cautious and very skiddish because I have been ripped so many times.
I hope this makes sense.

But I appreciate the oil tips.
See that's the problem with me I need a lot of help on a lot of things, I am just getting into cars and want to be smart and knowledgeable one day, so I can do things on my own and just not bother or pay people to do my car for me.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Ahh I got ya. Well as far as the stalling, could be a few things. Timing for one, carb adjustment, or possibly ignition wires crossed even poorly adjusted valves but you would probably hear that. My bet would be on timing, especially if the distributor was removed before install and then just set back, could be a tooth off on timing or just need to be tuned in better on the timing. Assuming all else is good. Well sit back and soak the knowledge up from people, your not gonna be rebuilding engines and swapping motors overnight haha, takes a while to learn all this stuff.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
CHRIS.O said:
Ahh I got ya. Well as far as the stalling, could be a few things. Timing for one, carb adjustment, or possibly ignition wires crossed even poorly adjusted valves but you would probably hear that. My bet would be on timing, especially if the distributor was removed before install and then just set back, could be a tooth off on timing or just need to be tuned in better on the timing. Assuming all else is good. Well sit back and soak the knowledge up from people, your not gonna be rebuilding engines and swapping motors overnight haha, takes a while to learn all this stuff.

Now how could I check on the timing?

I know haha I have been literally since I signed up on here, just sitting back looking at the forums on how to on here and just trying to learn little by little, but you all actually helping me with my problems help me learn even more.
So if or when these problems occur again, I know exactly what to do, lol.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Did they ever take the distributor out when they put the engine in your car? The reason I ask is I do not want to send you on a wild goose chase and have you mess it up and not know how to get it back to normal. So what I am gonna recommend first is you check your firing order just to be sure all the wires are hooked up correctly.

http://www.jegs.com/s/tech-articles/sbc ... ifications

this page has the firing order and some specs.

Find the number one plug and follow the wire going back to the distributor. When you find that terminal on the distributor go clockwise and follow every wire in the firing order to its plug. For example the firing order is 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 so when you find 1 go clockwise from there and the next terminal on the distributor should have a wire going from it to the number 8 cylinder in the diagram. Follow that until your back to 1.

Let me know what you find out and if it isnt in the wires being messed up then I will tell ya how to mess with the timing.

Goodluck

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor