BUILD THREAD Project long time coming

We're at the Syracuse Nationals today and tomorrow. If you're around, stop by and say hi!

20230714_091123.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Parked by the main gate, and across from the Summit racing booth. Stop by!

20230715_065327.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Out with the old, in with the new!
20230805_140135.jpg

So I bought these just after Christmas time, and they've been kicking around for multiple reasons.
Mainly I didn't want to install them until I was finished with the dirty work, just in case. Last thing I wanted to do was get grease or oil on them. Went to bolt them in several different times and had issues. The adjustable seat tracks would not fit these seats. The original set I purchased with the old seats, a set from Amazon, and finally a set from Summit that is Corbeau brand.
One more thing checked off the list before I head to LS Fest in Bowling Green this September!

Reactions: 7 users
Bad parts bite again.

When I rebuilt the rear end I installed new rotojoint bushings from UMI. That was this spring.
I've only put around 300 miles on it this summer. I've had a clunking noise and figured the heim joints on the cheap adjustable upper control arms were loose. So I ordered some UMI adjustable upper with rotojoints in them.

20230813_084534.jpg

This would finish off all of the suspension in the rear with rotojoints. The benefit to these is that they have very little friction and allow the rear to articulate easily. Removed the right upper arm and found the rotojoint has lots of play in it. Then looked at the drivers side joint. 🤬

20230813_092704.jpg

It has completely fell apart. Not only am I upset, but concerned about the rest of them now. Last thing I need are these failing on my trip to LS Fest in September in less than a month...
Gotta wait until tomorrow and see what they will do about it.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Bad parts bite again.

When I rebuilt the rear end I installed new rotojoint bushings from UMI. That was this spring.
I've only put around 300 miles on it this summer. I've had a clunking noise and figured the heim joints on the cheap adjustable upper control arms were loose. So I ordered some UMI adjustable upper with rotojoints in them.

View attachment 226189

This would finish off all of the suspension in the rear with rotojoints. The benefit to these is that they have very little friction and allow the rear to articulate easily. Removed the right upper arm and found the rotojoint has lots of play in it. Then looked at the drivers side joint. 🤬

View attachment 226190

It has completely fell apart. Not only am I upset, but concerned about the rest of them now. Last thing I need are these failing on my trip to LS Fest in September in less than a month...
Gotta wait until tomorrow and see what they will do about it.
Never saw that before. I don't know if we should congratulate you or cringe that you were able to destroy it. Please let us know what they say. I have roto joints also. Stupid question... did you press them on correctly?
On edit... the broken one isn't a UMI correct? Maybe a less quality brand using inferior part???

Reactions: 1 users
Never saw that before. I don't know if we should congratulate you or cringe that you were able to destroy it. Please let us know what they say. I have roto joints also. Stupid question... did you press them on correctly?
On edit... the broken one isn't a UMI correct? Maybe a less quality brand using inferior part???
Yes the broken one is a UMI. Yes they were pressed in correctly. Fairly certain the set screw is still in place in the broken one and it stripped the threads off the outer part as it backed out... I was so disgusted I had to just walk away from it.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Yes the broken one is a UMI. Yes they were pressed in correctly. Fairly certain the set screw is still in place in the broken one and it stripped the threads off the outer part as it backed out... I was so disgusted I had to just walk away from it.
I understand the frustration. I was going to say that you have to check them and adjust as needed by tightening up the ends to take out any play but with only 300 miles? That's insane. I really hope they get it figured out for you. This is the first time I've seen one of them damaged. Maybe do some research on failures. I'm going to investigate as well.

Reactions: 1 users
man that really that sux.glad you caught it when you did.back when i was doing the suspension i did get the impression that the spherical type bearing is good to go in most locations(especially over any heim) for street duty except the housing ears.everything pointed towards a high durometer rubber or in the very least a poly (even with it's stiction issue)was a better bet.i dig those new arms.hopefully UMI will have some answers for you.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor