BUILD THREAD Project long time coming

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Didn't know you built the engine for fuel economy 🤔
Lol 😆
I definitely didn't. It's so nice having overdrive. Many of the miles today were country back roads and the speed limit was only 45 so I'm sure that made a huge difference in my mileage.
That thing is dead sexy.
Thank you!

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Well I got a call from the guy that built my exhaust two years ago. I had run I to him at the Syracuse Nationals and mentioned that I butchered his exhaust when I swapped the LS and six speed in and if he thinks about it or has time, I'd like him to take a look at it.
Honestly I had kind of forgot about it and he called last Friday and said bring it over Sunday night and he'd start on it Monday morning. So I did but frankly wasn't prepared, ie, hadn't saved any money for it. Scrambled and scrapped the funds together and just picked it up. Looks like Ramen for me for the next month.

You can see the Crown Vic crossmember much better in these pics though.

20210901_142644.jpg

20210901_142714.jpg

• Love
  • Winner
Reactions: 11 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
So when I finished the LS swap I was in a hurry to just get it done. It runs good, but it stinks the garage up within 30 seconds while idling. Now I realize there are no catalytic converters on it, which will remove quite a bit of the exhaust smells, but it was bad enough you absolutely had to open the garage door up. Would burn your eyes. Basically smelled like an old carbureted car running rich. But the wide band O2 sensor read 14.3, right where I had it set to.

Looked around for an answer, and the Sloppy group came thru. There is a section in the Terminator program where you can input your camshaft specs. I didn't even know it existed. Really the only thing it changes is the timing of when the injectors fire. So obviously I inputted that information, and started checking out the program more. The timing map that was in the Sloppy tune I used left a lot to be desired. Changed quite a bit of the map, including adding a lot of timing. Base is at 12°, can't remember what the total timing though.
Took it for a spin afterwards. Holy crap 😳 it's like a different car almost. 1st gear is useless over half throttle 😁

• Winner
Reactions: 10 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Your base timing at idle is at 12 degrees now or in the old tune?

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Your base timing at idle is at 12 degrees now or in the old tune?
Now, I don't remember what is was in the old tune. Want me to send the file and you can look it over? 😁

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Sure. 12 degrees is really low if you have anything more than a mild cam.

Regardless of what you’re AFR gauge reads, if you smell gas in the exhaust then it’s rich. It can happen with a fair amount of duration, lowidle speed and low timing. An exhaust or intake leak can cause the same. Once the rpms are raised, when cruising or wot driving, a small exhaust leak or intake leak can be overcame by air flow.

Big, heavy turbo exhaust (turbine) wheels cause the same thing. That’s what I’m basing my experience on.

Reactions: 3 users

Zippymac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 18, 2021
Dripping Springs Tx
Clearance between the tire and rear frame rail. My thumb for reference and yes, i notched it while doing the frame off... View attachment 83115
What will bake your noodle is if you get a wider rear end from quick performance or Currie that is 2.75 inches wider on each end or 5 inches overall you can run 12 inch wide corvette stagger wheels without a frame modification. Got the 9 inch with chevy bolt pattern 31 spline axles. the price is the same as for the 58 inch and you get better stability nd less body roll flatter corners. I did this on my 1986 Mote Carlo LS when I built it up - its for sale now in classifieds - sadly need Cash for Daughter's college. .
9 inch torino big bearing with wilwood disc brake using the integrate e-brake it all looks factory. these frames are not very sturdy and notching them, in my opinon, makes them weaker and prone to cracking and breaking. Hats off that you actually pulled the frame and built the frame up....

Good job looks really nice ...

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor