BUILD THREAD Project long time coming

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Wow, that looks great. I like the bars straight to the frame/rear crossmember. I struggled to not put them through the speaker area, but common sense overcame me - I can't get much of anyone to ride in the passenger seat, so who the hell is riding in the back seat? But I didn't do the delete so someone can still ride in the center between those two bars.

Did you put anything around the aluminum rings to keep them from rattling/rubbing on the bars and making noise?
The stainless rings are riveted to the back panel with a small gap between the ring and tubing.

I was planning on running the tubing thru the speaker area, but between not being able to find a tube bender, and then realizing the rear seat wouldn't be safe to use with the cross bar anyways, I figured it just wasn't worth the extra effort.

Reactions: 3 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
The stainless rings are riveted to the back panel with a small gap between the ring and tubing.

I was planning on running the tubing thru the speaker area, but between not being able to find a tube bender, and then realizing the rear seat wouldn't be safe to use with the cross bar anyways, I figured it just wasn't worth the extra effort.
Any vibration concerns on the SS rings to bar clearance? Is there room for a seal (for sealing + vibration reduction)?

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Any vibration concerns on the SS rings to bar clearance? Is there room for a seal (for sealing + vibration reduction)?
There is room I suppose, but it would have to be mighty thin. 1/32" all the way around. I cut the stainless escutcheons at 1-9/16", the tubing is 1-5/8"
I've thought about trying to seal it better, we'll see. I could go around the backside with seam sealer. Wouldn't show thru the front, would seal, and still be a bit flexible. I'm not too concerned with it at the moment though.

In other news, my parking brake was giving me fits. Left side worked great, right side was adjusted up almost too far and would drag, yet when it was applied, you could still spin the tire. I wasn't digging that since it's a manual.
Disassembled the right side, adjusted the shoe in a little, that stopped the dragging, but of course made the application even worse. Decided the best course of action was to provide more throw/pull to that side so it would actually apply the shoes to the drum. Had to take it all apart to get the lever out.
You can see the original lever on the left, and my modified one on the right. The extra notch I cut into it is what added more throw. Seems to be working off the ground, releases fully and you can spin the tire when applied. Hopefully that does it...

20220530_102136.jpg

20220530_104128.jpg

20220530_104139.jpg

20220530_104149.jpg

Yes I know my boot is torn. So is the other one. Unfortunately they are obsolete and not reproduced any where yet. I don't drive it in inclement weather so I'm not too worried about it.

Last edited:

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You can get those boots from Rock Auto in a brake hardware kit. I gave away set of blazer rear brakes with new hardware and they were in it. That was 2-3 years ago though.

Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
S10 are supposed to be different than the f body, and f body are no longer available.

• Sad

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
You can get those boots from Rock Auto in a brake hardware kit. I gave away set of blazer rear brakes with new hardware and they were in it. That was 2-3 years ago though.
Oh and I checked RockAuto, they don't show them coming in the kit, at least in the pics. I would think the F body crowd would know where to get them if they were available.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Oh and I checked RockAuto, they don't show them coming in the kit, at least in the pics. I would think the F body crowd would know where to get them if they were available.
I wouldn’t count on that. I’ve heard those f-body guys are like cowboy fans ;)

Ha

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Are these the droids you're looking for?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor