Quadrajet internal spring Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
That third rod is a terrible design and there is no need for it. The two main rods can meter the fuel and that is why that third rod was dropped after one year. The third rod just complicated the set up and if I were you I'd talk the owner of the carb into getting rid of the third rod and set it up with the two primary rods. What is the size of the primary rods and the jets?
I don't know exactly, I can get that info tomorrow when I go out to the garage to finish the carb, as right now it's raining like hell and 12:09. What is the exact process to removing the third rod setup? I mean, I drove the car that the carb was on and it worked well it would just die from a sudden stop or acceleration because the float level was way off and the air doors were super loose. All I did was take it apart, no adjustments have been made. It's going on a mostly stock delta 88 convertible with an olds 350 that maybe has a cam in it, and that's about it. The guy only wanted it because it's 800cfm and is for an olds 350 (even though I pulled it off a pontiac 400).

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
to remove the third rod you plug the hole where the piston was so you don;t have a vacuum issue and the jet is not removable so you plug that as well. If the engine has a cam in it do you know what the vacuum is at idle?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Guy said either stock replacement or rv cam. He just bought the car. Idles real smooth with no lump at all he says. He lives about an hour and a half away, he wanted a stock rebuild.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't know how the car would idle real smooth if the float level was way off. Stalling when coming to a stop means the float is too high and the carb is flooding.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I don't know how the car would idle real smooth if the float level was way off. Stalling when coming to a stop means the float is too high and the carb is flooding.
I may have misspoke. I got the carb off a pontiac 400 from one guy, ran and drove fine other than the stalling with sudden starts and stops. Would start right back up and idle.and rev fine in park. It's going on an olds 350 (factory designation for this carb) that is very tame, near stock according to the guy who is receiving the carb. The Olds 350 in question idles like a stock engine, according to him. The float level was wrong, it was way high. It's now correct height at 15/32".

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I may have misspoke. I got the carb off a pontiac 400 from one guy, ran and drove fine other than the stalling with sudden starts and stops. Would start right back up and idle.and rev fine in park. It's going on an olds 350 (factory designation for this carb) that is very tame, near stock according to the guy who is receiving the carb.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Also, carb has 67 jets, .041 main rods, I hangar and CV secondary rods.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
that sounds a little on the rich side with .25 difference, is that what the carb came with from factory? The CV is about the middle of the rich to lean

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
that sounds a little on the rich side with .25 difference, is that what the carb came with from factory? The CV is about the middle of the rich to lean
That's what the primary rods measured out to be. I didn't know where to measure from. When the taper starts it was .051 then at the tip was .041.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
primary rods are marked and I don't think they make a .51, they have a .50 and .52, if it has an M then the tip is .36, other rods are .26. To measure the rod you measure above the taper, from above the taper to the top the rod is the same size.

Your first post about the rod and jet sizes was correct....from factory the jet is 67, the rods are 41 and the secondary is CV. It was on a Cutlass with a 350 so are you sure it's an 800?. Does it have the hump in the primary?

http://www.capitalcorvetteclub.ca/attachments/article/180/Q-Jet Tuning Paper.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor