Quick Carpet Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Guys, this is a quick detail question. Im cutting out the carpet for the back of my wagon. The old stuff was pretty hammered.
The back of the rear seat has carpeting glued to it. Its bound top and bottom but not on the sides.. The bottom has a piece of vinyl attached to it that runs side to side. What the heck does that strip of vinyl do ?

And can anyone tell me how wide its supposed to be ? Thanks in advance !!

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I think it's supposed to keep the bottom from lifting/curling when cargo is slid across the joint in the floor where the seatback meets the load floor

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Do you know how wide its supposed to be ?
Mich,
Judging by what's left of my old carpet/ pattern, there seems to be about an inch overlap....that's not including the binding, which is part of the overlapped piece if vinyl.
I would assume when it was installed initially, there was a wider strip sewn on to the carpet and then trimmed once it was stretched and glued in place.
I also have to do this to my new carpet as well.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Jack, I bought 2 1/3 yards of Ozite superstretch carpet from yourautotrim.com. The color is VERY close to the Dove Grey from ACC and Im pretty sure it matches the stuff that the back was done in when I bought the car. I just have to cut the piece for the back of the seat and off it all goes back to the upholstery shop to get bound.
I think I'll have the guy make it 2" wide and if I have to trim it I can do that after its glued. My buddy lent me a pair of Wiss upholsterers shears. They make it easier.

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Jack, I bought 2 1/3 yards of Ozite superstretch carpet from yourautotrim.com. The color is VERY close to the Dove Grey from ACC and Im pretty sure it matches the stuff that the back was done in when I bought the car. I just have to cut the piece for the back of the seat and off it all goes back to the upholstery shop to get bound.
I think I'll have the guy make it 2" wide and if I have to trim it I can do that after its glued. My buddy lent me a pair of Swiss upholsterers shears. They make it easier.

I have heard of Wiss upholsterer shears but not Swiss, what do they look like and do they have holes thoughout the blades?

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I have dealt with Your auto trim before. I bought the headliner material for my wagon and for my daily driver from them.

I used a pair of Wiss upholstery shears to cut my carpet and headliner fabric. It was a good investment...made short work of cutting fabric and carpet. It certainly beats using a razor/ box cutter. It was recommended to me by another member...I took his advice.

Yeah, I think a 2" overlap on the vinyl should do the trick.

What kind of backing is on the Ozite carpeting ?

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Jack, it doesnt have a regular backing like other carpet. Its almost the same on both sides.
When I told the guy I needed something close to the Dove Grey he sent me two samples. One was the Ozite and the other was a rubbery backed cut pile that was much lighter in color.
The Ozite reminds me of the stuff that they wrap a sub woofer in or the inside of a gun safe. If I get a chance I'll take some photos later and post them tonight so you'll be able to see both sides.

BTW, have you heard anything from Scott ? His last post was in July.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack, it doesnt have a regular backing like other carpet. Its almost the same on both sides.
When I told the guy I needed something close to the Dove Grey he sent me two samples. One was the Ozite and the other was a rubbery backed cut pile that was much lighter in color.
The Ozite reminds me of the stuff that they wrap a sub woofer in or the inside of a gun safe. If I get a chance I'll take some photos later and post them tonight so you'll be able to see both sides.

BTW, have you heard anything from Scott ? His last post was in July.
Mich,
The carpet that I bought for the rear was thinner than the floor carpet mainly because the floor kit was mass backed....which makes it easier to cut and trim.

As for Scott, he's been MIA for quite a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor