Radiator fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Well, I have no idea what that package is. If it is serpentine, then the V belt fan will not work. The serpentine setup uses a reverse flow water pump, because the pump spins in the opposite direction. Thus, the V belt fan's blades will be pitched in the wrong direction. This does not preclude the use of a normal clutch fan, you will just need to source it off a V8 car with serpentine accessories. In fact, if that is the accessory drive setup I think it is, you can save a lot of money by just pulling the drive off a 87+ F body or B body with a 305 as it is the same stuff you will find in the junkyard.

Yes, it's the serpentine set up from GM ( http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/Parts ... t=12497698 ).. Unfortunately, i have already purchase the crate 350 turn key, and it came with it. So what kind of fan will work with this set up?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
87+ F body fan blade and clutch. Easy enough to find. You may also be able to use one off a 4.3 S-10 or a V6 or V8 full size truck, a full size car that came with a 305 or 350, etc. Pretty much any serpentine belt Chevy engined car with a traditional small block will have your fan parts. Expect to pay $15-30 in a salvage yard.

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
87+ F body fan blade and clutch. Easy enough to find. You may also be able to use one off a 4.3 S-10 or a V6 or V8 full size truck, a full size car that came with a 305 or 350, etc. Pretty much any serpentine belt Chevy engined car with a traditional small block will have your fan parts. Expect to pay $15-30 in a salvage yard.

Thanx 85 Cutty!!! Perfect timing, i'm hitting a few junk yards this weekend..

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Lue said:
yes.. my intentions are to keep the car as cool as posible... It's going to be my daily, and i will be doing a lot of (hwy/ stop and go traffic) driving..

I really appreciate all the help guys..

you don't want to run it too cool, that will greatly reduce the life of the engine.

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
pontiacgp said:
Lue said:
yes.. my intentions are to keep the car as cool as posible... It's going to be my daily, and i will be doing a lot of (hwy/ stop and go traffic) driving..

I really appreciate all the help guys..

you don't want to run it too cool, that will greatly reduce the life of the engine.

What temp would be too cool?

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
140-150 is too cool. But, good luck even keeping it that low. I have a 160* 'stat, HUGE aluminum radiator, 25% faster pump & electric fan and any air temp over 75* the engine runs 170-180* anyhow. I should just put in a 180* 'stat.

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
82355supreme said:
140-150 is too cool. But, good luck even keeping it that low. I have a 160* 'stat, HUGE aluminum radiator, 25% faster pump & electric fan and any air temp over 75* the engine runs 170-180* anyhow. I should just put in a 180* 'stat.

Ok, good to know :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor