Radiator Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

franknitticutlass

Greasemonkey
Aug 17, 2009
I have 2 radiators. I have a aluminum race radiator and the stock radiator for my 82 cutty. My race radiator doesnt have any 1/4 trans cooler or oil cooler lines but the stock one does. I know it will take a lot of space and may not fit but can I use the stock one at the same time / plug the inlet & outlet and use it just for the oil and trans cooler lines? Thats a total of a inch thickness. i know my Howe aluminum radiator is like 3-3 1/2 inches and the stock is about 2 inches. Ill modify the mount the radiators sit on.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Trying to use both radiators at the same time won't work. The stock one with the coolers won't cool the oil or transmission fluid because you won't have any coolant circulating in it.
Go get some aftermarket coolers.

79GP6.6L

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2006
Upstate NY
I run an aluminum radiator with no trans fittings, so I also use an external transmission cooler. The aluminum radiators are great. Use it and buy a transmission cooler. They are not expensive.

franknitticutlass

Greasemonkey
Aug 17, 2009
what r the 1/4inch lines for that connect to the stock radiator? I know one is for the trans. The other?? Is it for power steering or oil? And if I buy a transmission cooler will it have 2 openings for 2 lines?

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
Picture036-2.jpg

run your aluminum one and buy a aftermarket transmission cooler. its easy to do. here is a pic of my set up and where i mounted it.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
franknitticutlass said:
what r the 1/4inch lines for that connect to the stock radiator? I know one is for the trans. The other?? Is it for power steering or oil? And if I buy a transmission cooler will it have 2 openings for 2 lines?

Are you talking about the two lines that are on the same side of the radiator? They are both transmission lines, one to get there and one to get back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor