Rear Axle Identification

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
1980Halfbreed said:
Needing some info. I'm on my 4th rearend because its the weakest link and now its time to get serious but not broke. Besides another g-body because 8.5 g-bodys are difficult to find what other chevy 8.5 is close to a bolt in. I've heard that A body chevies are close but need tweaking for the upper control arms. I have a 9 inch from a versailles but finding a competent welder is scarce in my neck of the woods.
Try grabbing a 12 bolt rear from a 66-72 A body......they are close to a bolt in deal...All ya gotta do is swap out the control arms...UMIPerfoprmance has the 12 bolt swap kit..here this should also help ya in your search..http://www.maliburacing.com/faq.html#stock_rearend

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
JBrue, I think you mean the 68-72 rear is bolt in with the conversion uppers. Here's my 67 rear with the lowers I had made by UMI. The bracket for the lowers on the 64-67 are closer to the center of the axle than the G body. Remember the laugh we had when I described what my sway bar looked like and the difficulty I had to get it in?

file.php

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
pontiacgp said:
JBrue, I think you mean the 68-72 rear is bolt in with the conversion uppers. Here's my 67 rear with the lowers I had made by UMI. The bracket for the lowers on the 64-67 are closer to the center of the axle than the G body. Remember the laugh we had when I described what my sway bar looked like and the difficulty I had to get it in?

file.php
Oh yeah that's right.......lol

PapaSmurf86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 26, 2012
i just picked up a 8.5 i believe. Heres a pic with the 7.5 10bolt cover nxt to the cover of the 8.5. The cover on 8.5's are more round compared to a 7.5 pan. The ears are more squared off on the 8.5 rather then fang lookings ears. And it has 28 spline axles.
This number is on the center section. 14075742
Is this a 8.5?

kolt402_zps1106e00c.jpg

• Creative
Reactions: 1 user

martin.ca

Greasemonkey
Jun 30, 2008
Wet Coast of Canadia
thegrandprixsniper said:
are 7.5 26 spline rear ends open differential cuz i would like to install a mini spool in mine can i ????

7.5" and 7.625" 26 spline axles did sometimes come with a "posi". I've an '81 with a 2-series axle and limited-slip diff.

vonclod

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2012
Delta B.C.
^^
my 86 regal is a 7.5 and has a posi from the factory

can anyone tell me where exactly on the axle tube will i find the gearing?
thanx

martin.ca

Greasemonkey
Jun 30, 2008
Wet Coast of Canadia
Ideally...

axlecodeloc.gif

But on mine, I found it easier to look up the RPO codes from the VIN via the big book behind the GM parts counter. And it had been already changed in the past.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor