Rear Axle Identification

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
from my '85 service manual, 3.73 gears, open carrier. View attachment 49731
Oldsmobile Joe, you are the man. THANK YOU, that's exactly the info I was looking for. Confirms my findings thus far.
Still, not too shabby for a junkyard find in my opinion! I mean, who sends a 442 to the wreckers? To me, finding this is like finding a Grand National in a junkyard. Even though it doesn't have a posi, for less than $200 drum to drum including the driveshaft, I'll take it all day long!
:)
Let the swap begin...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it's strange that info that Joe posted doesn't seem to be online anywhere

• Agree

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Still, not too shabby for a junkyard find in my opinion! I mean, who sends a 442 to the wreckers?

you're welcome. do us all a favor and grab the trans from that 442. its got the correct speed-o-meter drive gears in it for those 3.73 rear gears.

t's strange that info that Joe posted doesn't seem to be online anywhere

I'm glad i was able to help.

joe

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
do us all a favor and grab the trans from that 442. its got the correct speed-o-meter drive gears in it for those 3.73 rear gears.

I doubt I'll grab the entire trans out of it as it's the BOP bolt pattern bellhousing (which won't fit behind the 350 Chev I'm putting in), but I could certainly grab just the speedo gears...
Just out of curiosity, would those 200R4 speedometer gears fit in the TH350 I've currently got?

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I doubt I'll grab the entire trans out of it as it's the BOP bolt pattern bellhousing

i may be wrong, but i have never seen a 200r4 trans with just a BOP bell housing pattern. all that i have owned have a BOP and C multi fit pattern. like this pic shows. this would go well in your project olds cool.
rim00014.jpg

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
i may be wrong, but i have never seen a 200r4 trans with just a BOP bell housing pattern. all that i have owned have a BOP and C multi fit pattern. like this pic shows. this would go well in your project olds cool.
rim00014.jpg

X2 with Joe

Someone can correct if I'm wrong, but there are 200's with a Chevy only pattern, but the BOP 200's all have the Chevy pattern. And if that is an 85+ 442, then it should have the extremely desirable 200 with a 7 or 10 vane pump, stronger servo, improved sunshell, etc. At very least it should be an excellent core. If I were near that scrap yard, then you wouldn't have to worry about grabbing it because it would already be owned by me :):).

Good luck - Jim

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
rim00014.jpg

X2 with Joe

Someone can correct if I'm wrong, but there are 200's with a Chevy only pattern, but the BOP 200's all have the Chevy pattern. And if that is an 85+ 442, then it should have the extremely desirable 200 with a 7 or 10 vane pump, stronger servo, improved sunshell, etc. At very least it should be an excellent core. If I were near that scrap yard, then you wouldn't have to worry about grabbing it because it would already be owned by me :):).

Good luck - Jim
Well there you go.
I just learned something new from both of you gentlemen here this morning. I wasn't aware of the dual bolt pattern on the bell for one, nor the desirability of that particular trans. It certainly WOULD make those 3:73's much more tolerable on the highway...
I will look at snapping it up on the weekend if it's still there.
Thanks guys, there's more dollar bills flying out the window!
Lol

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
FWIW, I'm running a 200-4R in a G-body making in excess of 500 WHP with 3.73'd and 26.5" tires. But the 442 and GN 200's were built from the factory to handle much more than the earlier ones - easily 300-350 WHP.

• Agree

tommytpk

Apprentice
Nov 18, 2014
I'm going to look at a non-running 1986 442 tomorrow; If I were to pick it up, and bolt in the 8.5, would the driveshaft proper fit from a 200r4-8.5 to a TH200-7.5?

Thanks!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor