Sell the project Pontiac for this? Or keep for swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Basically, here is my thoughts so far.

I will go see the car and inspect the rust damage. Because I think we can agree no matter what car is for sale, a photo or two won't do anyone justice.

My standards are like this.

If the frame front to back is done, and it's not just a section, like with what the current Pontiac was?

Then I will keep my current project. Because there would be no good metal to weld to, and that is true scrap in my opinion.

I may be an idiot, but not that big of an idiot lol.

Since as stated above, I do want a project, but NOT to the point where it can't be salvaged.

Therefore if it has stuff that is normal for a car THAT'S 60 years old in Ontario, like a part of frame is gone, floor pans, rockers etc, and it's not one big piece of rot, where again theres nothing to weld to?

Then why shouldn't I consider it, if I was already willing to do the same type of work before?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I just spent $1000 for the welding plus $500 for the floor pans in the Pontiac Bonneville last summer.
So you want to take on another project that will need rust repair so I am curious why you don't do the work yourself, obviously it's not lack of funds since you could have bought a nice mig for what you paid in labor.

Reactions: 1 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Sorry if I come across hard headed here guys. As I said, I do appreciate the input, no matter how harsh.

But I felt I had to illustrate my point of view, from my standards and perspective, so you guys know why I am even asking the questions, which may seem obvious to the lucky few who can buy vehicles, with little to no rust, or travel to one and can pick it up.

As I don't live in the US, nor have the luxury of being able to tow something at this time. Thanks for understanding guys.

Sorry if this topic seemed stupid.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
You are correct. We had Bonnevilles. Parisiennes were not sold in the US. If you do get it, you can look to Chevy cars for some donor stuff. I still say join POCI for the support network. There are a lot of Canadian members who can give you good advise. Also a PHS is in valuable for figuring out what you should have. I'm pretty sure they have Canadian records too.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
BTW I am always in favor of another unecessary project. I just dragged a 55 out of a field.

• Haha

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
So you want to take on another project that will need rust repair so I am curious why you don't do the work yourself, obviously it's not lack of funds since you could have bought a nice mig for what you paid in labor.
Because I don't have as many tools, or the knowledge to weld. Those are 2 things I am slowly working on.

As It is a lack of funds to some extent. After all my bills are paid every month, I sometimes will have about $600-$700 left over. And some of that needs to be saved for emergencies.

Plus when you got good friends that enjoy doing these kinds of things with you, it makes it more fun anyway.

See 565bbchevy, the problem is, in Canada at least finding a 60's project car, is either gonna require some rust repair, or you are buying one fully restored.

Theres no in between. At least most of the year, if not as a whole. Mostly due to the Cash for Clunkers scrapping those salvageable ones 10 years ago.

And I don't want a fully restored car. Plus, if I could take the advice from some here, and grab one in the US?

The cost of towing, hotels, paying taxes on that plus the vehicle at the border, gas and the thing itself? It would add up between $7000-$10000 at least.

And you can buy a restored vehicle for that kind of money.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
You are correct. We had Bonnevilles. Parisiennes were not sold in the US. If you do get it, you can look to Chevy cars for some donor stuff. I still say join POCI for the support network. There are a lot of Canadian members who can give you good advise. Also a PHS is in valuable for figuring out what you should have. I'm pretty sure they have Canadian records too.
Ah ok. And It will really depend on how much rot the frame and body has.

But if I did get it, what kind of Chevrolet equivalent parts would apply to this vehicle?

And alright, I'll join POCI for sure!
BTW I am always in favor of another unecessary project. I just dragged a 55 out of a field.

Post some pictures when you can??

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Well, I've got some criticisms for you, no other words for it. It's meant to be constructive, so hopefully you take it that way. At the same time, typed words over the internet don't always come across with the spirit intended. So. Take this for what it's worth.
If the frame front to back is done, and it's not just a section, like with what the current Pontiac was?
You need to remember, your Bonneville is 38 years old. This hulk you're thinking about is almost 50% older than that. And, from the looks of it, hasn't exactly been done any favors in the storage department.

That's another 2 decades of rotting from inside out and wherever water ran, and all the places moisture collected.

If the car is in the position it was in the pictures, halfway returned to the earth, you'll be hard pressed to see it in the air and make objective evaluations.
Since as stated above, I do want a project, but NOT to the point where it can't be salvaged.
IMO, you've already got TWO projects. That 1988 caprice needs love, and will keep on needing love. You don't DD a 30+ year old car without needing lots of regular upkeep and repair that will keep you busy.
Therefore if it has stuff that is normal for a car THAT'S 60 years old in Ontario, like a part of frame is gone, floor pans, rockers etc, and it's not one big piece of rot, where again theres nothing to weld to?

Then why shouldn't I consider it, if I was already willing to do the same type of work before?
When it comes to provincial inspections I'm a dumb*** American. Don't know a thing about them. BUT, I also dont think they plus the cost of a trailer and truck trip and hotels add up to $10,000.

Many years of experience have taught me that the rust you see is about 10% of the rust you don't. Any metal lines will randomly pop. Panels and paint look OK and original today, and next spring it's a hole opening up with a rust stain seeping from under bubbling paint. This doesn't even mention all the cursing and busted knuckles dealing with frozen and snapped fasteners.

It's possible to get a dry environment car that needs paint, needs dents fixed, has a worn suspension and dried interior fixed. Engine/trans can use a refresh. And they won't be $20,000 cars. You can have a total project without needing monthly tetanus shots and dealing with all the BS of a thoroughly rotted car. Because unless the seller wants you stripping off the rest of that vinyl or pulling headliners and such, there's a hidden disaster lurking there, among other places.

It's fine and normal to want a different type of car, but it's a tough spot when you talk yourself into a bucket of headaches because it's a little easier or what you can afford at the time.

In the end it's your choice and decision, and I've got a bunch more thoughts on the subject if you're actually interested in hearing them... but from the looks of that car, at the low end, from what I see, and doing most all the work yourself without outsourcing labor/paint it's probably $10,000+ to get it safe, and $25,000+ to get it looking fairly decent.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Ah ok. And It will really depend on how much rot the frame and body has.

But if I did get it, what kind of Chevrolet equivalent parts would apply to this vehicle?

And alright, I'll join POCI for sure!

Post some pictures when you can??
I would guess Impala/Biscayne but I'm guessing. And that would just be underpinnings. SBC is SBC. Body stuff is Pontiac.

Pics are in the non G project section

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I would guess Impala/Biscayne but I'm guessing. And that would just be underpinnings. SBC is SBC. Body stuff is Pontiac.

Pics are in the non G project section
That would just be like the '80's Parisienne that was sold in the states after GM relized Pontiac still needed a big car. Those were based off the Caprice inside & out. A freinds mom had one in the late '90's.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor