Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Ahhh yes ignorance is bliss.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I think that Monte did pretty well. Keep in mind, human beings don't flop around like limp noodles like those dummies. The passenger compartment looks quite intact to me. I'd much rather go through that sort of collision in a full frame car like the Monte rather than one of these modern little Jelly Beans. I drive on the freeways every day. No way I would get out there in a Smart Car or a Fiat 500, or a Corolla for that matter. My daily has been a truck since I got my first vehicle. Everything I've owned has had a frame and its gonna stay that way.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
You know watching again, it doesn't look too bad, the passenger compartment is pretty intact. I just didn't like the dummy slamming his head on the dash Hahaha that looks pretty sketchy, but it will never keep me from driving my car. I do feel safe it in, but there are some variables that make it a little bit more dangerous haha

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I will take a modern car with crumple zones and airbags instead of my Gbody in a crash please.
I have seen quite a few gbodies wrecked over the years and they have taken some lives with them. The offset front impacts and T-bones are the worst. Even at 35 mph the frontal collisions end up with the driver having broken ribs, smashing teeth off the steering wheel , and whacking your knees off the dash. Passenger ends up whacking the top of the windshield with their face. I think another factor was locking the shoulder belt too loose to begin with. You see in the rear impact videos the seats tend to break letting the occupants lie flat and rendering the shoulder belt useless. Rear passengers are in real trouble with only lap belts.

35 mph front impact

35 mph rear impact 4 door

35 mph rear impact 2 door

35 mph front impact

Mix

I am sure you have all seen the 59 Impala ( not unlike the gbody full frame )vs 2009 Malibu video

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Ive seen too many failures with the whole crumble zone idea. In fact had I been riding with my main running buddy awhile back when he wrecked his avenger I would currently be a double leg amputee. Car went off the road and hit a culvert. Shoved the pass front end in. Pass wheel was imbedded in the seat. The engine broke the center console. Crumple zones are designed for 35 mph crashes....any higher than that and they're scraping you off the engine block

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
if you're concerned install stronger front seats and put 5 point belts in the car.
Meh, I actually want to do rear shoulder belts but its a "back burner" item being that I have not found blue belts to match my interior yet.

The post was more of a knee-jerk reaction to re-iterate that these cars are not safe whatsoever in a collision. My friend would still have his own front teeth if he was hit whist driving a smart car instead of his 'bu. He looked like he went a couple rounds with Tyson and the other drivers air bags deployed and he walked away with minor air bag burns.
Doesn't make me love them any less but it does make me more cautious when I drive the Monte. Especially when my family is in it.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
He probably wouldn't be alive if he'd been hit in a smart car instead lol

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Ive seen too many failures with the whole crumble zone idea. In fact had I been riding with my main running buddy awhile back when he wrecked his avenger I would currently be a double leg amputee. Car went off the road and hit a culvert. Shoved the pass front end in. Pass wheel was imbedded in the seat. The engine broke the center console. Crumple zones are designed for 35 mph crashes....any higher than that and they're scraping you off the engine block

Are you implying that it would have been survivable if you hit the culvert in a gbody ?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Meh, I actually want to do rear shoulder belts but its a "back burner" item being that I have not found blue belts to match my interior yet.

The post was more of a knee-jerk reaction to re-iterate that these cars are not safe whatsoever in a collision. My friend would still have his own front teeth if he was hit whist driving a smart car instead of his 'bu. He looked like he went a couple rounds with Tyson and the other drivers air bags deployed and he walked away with minor air bag burns.
Doesn't make me love them any less but it does make me more cautious when I drive the Monte. Especially when my family is in it.

I agree these cars are no the safest but we make up for that with making the cars more responsive to get out of situations......oh and thanks for reminding me of parts I like to find for my blue interior, the color that is impossible to find....:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor