So What Do YOU Suggest I Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
Maybe, somehow give people the option to clean up their own thread. If someone posts craziness or off topic/insulting stuff, let the original poster have the ability to delete that stuff, or stop a person from posting in the thread, this would only piss off people that are there to stir crap up. i am referring to certain threads, no in off-topic or general, but in a thread where someone is coming on to share their lifestyle or culture, or experience, etc and they are not asking people whether or not they like that style of car... if ya dont like it or have a question on topic, dont post in the thread... i posted something in another thread:

LSCustoms said:
I dont see a problem with someone posting an opinion about my car, or any car for that matter. i think the problem lies when the comment made isnt constructive in nature. Meaning, many just bash a certain group (all car with what they consider "big wheels"). then although most of the thread could contain positive comments, or someone who can learn from, draw from, or appreciate that style of car, the thread gets locked because of all the negativity...

in my opinion, if a person posts a thread about a particular thing, not asking for specific opinion or input (as to whether or not someone likes their car, etc.) then someone shouldnt start post whoring their thread with a bunch of negativity, like some sort of highschool fight. that seems to be the excuse, if you post something "your asking for the good and the bad". Bullshit. it feels good to share your dream, goal, passion, etc. with those who can appreciate it and feels good at times to hear positive things (never know what someone is going through)... i dont even want to get into being culturally insensitive. you dont post your cars, etc. to hear the "good and the bad". i truly feel that if someone posts a thread sharing a car or several that they like (and are not asking for criticism, or opinions, especially those that r not constructive), then a person should not post negativity, just click on it, if u dont like it, move on... sometimes opinions are not welcome :rofl: Its like inviting someone to your house and opening your doors to them; they walk inside and start pissing all over your couch, your prob gonna get mad (and then they respond by, well you shouldnt have welcomed me in to your house)... :rofl:

could you add the ability to do this, similar to a edit button, etc. if the person who started the thread is offended etc. then they should clean their own house... I dont know what else to suggest on this. I dont like certain styles or things too, but I dont go around posting rather meaningless/insulting posts in peoples threads... I dont think Ive done this once. I dont think other people should do this either... and you cant be everywhere at once to help keep this stuff clean. many people have a lot to offer the site and it is at times discouraging to see some of it...

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
It's very easy to miscomunticate via text, a simple "opinion" can be taken as a personal attack, as your tone is not expressed in type. This pisses the op off and then you end with a pissing match. Maybe we can think before we type a little better, that would cut down on some. Like suffrn6 mentioned, leave your feelings at the door, this is the automotive world, and in general, you need thick skin to participate in it (no matter what you do in it, you will be criticized by someone, take it and apply it, or brush it off).

***I like lscustoms idea above***

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
LSCustoms said:
could you add the ability to do this, similar to a edit button, etc. if the person who started the thread is offended etc. then they should clean their own house... I dont know what else to suggest on this. I dont like certain styles or things too, but I dont go around posting rather meaningless/insulting posts in peoples threads... I dont think Ive done this once. I dont think other people should do this either... and you cant be everywhere at once to help keep this stuff clean. many people have a lot to offer the site and it is at times discouraging to see some of it...

You should have the ability to edit your own posts at any time. (Of course I'm admin so I always see this button on every post)... You can delete your posts, but not if someone else has already posted after (I see those on all also). I think that's how it works. I may have to create a dummy account and do some checking on that.

t01blaze

Master Mechanic
Oct 4, 2011
South New Jersey
the big wheel cars should have their own section.
im not a fan of it myself, but to each their own.
if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all. if we ignore them because we cant say anything nice then they wont get any attention and go away.

dlo253

G-Body Guru
Mar 25, 2011
PNW, WA
GP403 said:
dlo253 said:
Sounds like the best option, although the posts will still show on the front page....and even knowing its in that section. I think people would still click it and the same stuff would still probly happen. I say try that though maybe, and as stated earlier... just let it go on and die off... not much you can do besides handing out bans, which shouldn't have to happen.

I can limit which forums' posts get shown on the front page of the site. That's easy.

There's lots of ways to not see topics. Not clicking on them is one.

Yeah, you shouldn't have to hide their posts. It says what section the post is in, so if people are still clicking it and being negative then maybe they should just go home.. LOL.

jatguit

Greasemonkey
Mar 27, 2007
I am sure you have checked out other forums.
One I like to frequent is Moparts.com.
Moparts.com are fairly strict in that there is NO politics and NO environmental talk, and anythread that starts to go in that direction, or gets offensive, it gets LOCKED and closed and sometimes deleted immediately. Anytime anyone uses a word like Sh*t or Cr*p an insert appears saying something like (Family freindly site, Keep it Clean!) of course some people try to get around that and use "Sh*t" instead, but then that person gets a free vacation. So maybe a more aggresive approach to clamping down using some of these rules along with a clear understanding of what may be in store if things go in a way not condusive to the site.
Yeah, you might get some of the people put off, but the riff-raff (maybe to strong a phrase) that want to go down that road may end up being the ones that leave since they won't be able to do what they want to - or, they may just start wising up. Not that there is a lot of riff-raff here, but I do see a little bit of mocking of the other vehicles kind of thing going on. I don't see it that much on Moparts, and when it does happen, its usually done a little more repectfully and a not so in your face with a "that sucks" kind of thing. It may just be that the age group demographics over there is older, and here we have a predominantly younger crowd.
I presume trying to have some rules and enforcing the site as such I am sure, may take some extra time to do.
Over all I think this is a great site.

dlo253

G-Body Guru
Mar 25, 2011
PNW, WA
I think we should make another section, not hide posts. And I think we should leave it up to the members. Lets take it back to elementary... maybe we can have some sort of warning system. Like if someone is bashing, a member can report the post, and if GP feels the need, he will give the member a warning. And if they get say, 3 warnings for the same thing they get banned, or a temp ban. Because if they ignore warnings, and go into a section knowing they only have negative input.. they don't need to be here anyways.

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
GP403 said:
LSCustoms said:

You should have the ability to edit your own posts at any time. (Of course I'm admin so I always see this button on every post)... You can delete your posts, but not if someone else has already posted after (I see those on all also). I think that's how it works. I may have to create a dummy account and do some checking on that.
yeh you can delete your own posts, but was talking about making it to where the thread starter, can delete someone elses post off their thread or stop them from posting silly stuff, by locking them out the thread, by a button... that way all the silly back and forth stops and the OP thread doesn't get locked up because people cant control themselves...

if you or another mod checks in on the thread and it seems like the OP's thread is inappropriate, etc. then at that time you can lock it, erase it or whatever, but i think allowing the OP to do this, will allow him to keep his own thread cleaner and make your job easier, and the forum seem a little cleaner at times... the Big Wheel cars do not need there own section or segregation more than it is now... its simple, if someone doesnt like it, dont post in it, hell, you can even add a person to your no friend list and you wont see their posts, but this does not stop someone from being able to post and for others to see...

so a button where I can lock someone out my thread for being stupid, or delete their post and keep my thread clean, seems fair to me... again if someone is just locking people out their thread, but that person felt they had something constructive to say, then they can start their own thread, or the OP will just have to miss out on that information, but at least there wont be a whole bunch of jabs and no knock out

dlo253

G-Body Guru
Mar 25, 2011
PNW, WA
That may work ^… but I think some people would take it too far and delete somebodies post just because they have had problems before.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
dlo253 said:
That may work ^… but I think some people would take it too far and delete somebodies post just because they have had problems before.

^^^ What you're asking for there is basically quasi-moderator powers. I don't believe the board software will allow this sort of thing, for exactly the reason dlo253 says. At least not that I'm aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor