So What Do YOU Suggest I Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Have to agree a lot with you Bill. I really do not think you need to make special sections for different people. We are all here for the love of cars particularly G body cars. I think people just need to keep their opinion to themselves. If the OP is not asking for an opinion just showing off something cool that he obviously thinks is cool who are we to tell him it is stupid. Move on to another thread where constructive criticism may be asked for or the OP is asking for your opinion. I am here to help people and to learn from others. I am not here to tell you your car looks dumb unless you ask my honest opinion and then that is just my taste. As far as what to do, well, I think you should warn the repeat offenders, you know who they are, we all do.We know who is gonna be the first to tell somebody their car is stupid because it has big wheels or it is running a Chevy and should have an Oldsmobile. If they continue to act like a douche bag then good riddance. Maybe they might learn something, acting like an ******* get's you nowhere fast. Perhaps you need more moderators to help with this. I know it is a daunting task to read every thread and every comment completely when there are so many but I just do not see dividing the board as a good thing.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I, like some of the older crowd on here, remember when there wasn't a computer to run to for advice, ideas, tech support or a social life.. G-bodies were underdogs for a really long time and it took quite awhile for aftermarket support to catch up, let alone a site where we could all come and bs about them all day long.

In a perfect world we'd all respect everyone, their ideas, taste, politics, religion, etc. I wish I had a good fix-all suggestion but I don't. If you don't like something then let it be. If you get criticized, man up and shrug it off. In the end it's all words and it means nothing. There's no reason why GP403 should have to babysit grown men and women.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
G-Body_Vet said:
I, like some of the older crowd on here, remember when there wasn't a computer to run to for advice, ideas, tech support or a social life.. G-bodies were underdogs for a really long time and it took quite awhile for aftermarket support to catch up, let alone a site where we could all come and bs about them all day long.

In a perfect world we'd all respect everyone, their ideas, taste, politics, religion, etc. I wish I had a good fix-all suggestion but I don't. If you don't like something then let it be. If you get criticized, man up and shrug it off. In the end it's all words and it means nothing. There's no reason why GP403 should have to babysit grown men and women.
very well said GBV.....

Wildmani

Master Mechanic
Sep 17, 2010
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
A little off topic of the way this thread is going, but it was a request on how to make the site better...

Is there any way we could have region specific sections? A few years ago I used to frequent nastyz28.com (had an '81 Z28), they had region sections divided up by popular geographic location. Being from Canada, it was really handy to be able to use a section dedicated to Canadian owners. I know there are already sections on this site that cover all of the tech and for sale stuff, but to be able to with selling stuff you'd prefer not to ship, and talking about local car clubs, meets, etc., would be good. I can't remeber all of the specific sections they had (I suppose you could see where a lot of members were from to set it up), but some that come to mind are: Canadian owners, Florida, mid-western US, etc. I guess it depends on the demographic as to the best way to divide it, to avoid having a section with just 2 or 3 members.

Just throwing that out there...

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
bill said:
This site was a valuable tool for me during my build project. The info and advice on here was priceless and inspired me to take chances and attempt projects that I might have passed over if not for the good advice and direction from here. I beleive that is the most valuable part of this forum. It also allows the members to show off their builds, talk about issues that they had with certain parts or swaps...etc. I try, as best as possible, to limit my opinions to those posts that ASK FOR IT! Sometimes the post is not asking for an opinion, but rather instruction or just info on parts or sources...etc. There again, I try not to post pure opinion unless I feel it is being asked for....and if I overstep my bounds, I make amends for it.

Bottom line, IMO, we members have to respect ALL the members on this forum for their love of their cars and their quest to learn and provide info for others who need it. Posting opinions (especially negative ones) that are not being asked for is just pointless and a sure way to BREW(ers) up trouble!

I suggest that any replies with negative comments that are unwarranted or just stupid pics... should be warned in a PM and the post should be deleted. Maybe when they see that their posts are not valid to the OP or appears to be trolling for trouble, the MOD is on to it...maybe then they will get the picture...and hopefully learn that decent posts are the only ones people care to read.
Editted to correct grammer, punctuation...lol
So of course, you're going to follow your own advice and stop injecting politics into threads. :mrgreen:

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
LSCustoms said:
Randy_W said:
So when I say 24's look silly on a G-Body, I'm expressing my opinion, not hating someone's race. If people would just stop being offended by the least little things in life and just understand that differences of opinion, do NOT equal racism, this would cool down a bunch. They might still be pissed if you don't like their whip, but at least they won't think everyone is being racist. 8)
race doesnt have anything to do with it (its more a culture anyway)... but its simple, the problem with going on a thread and post whoring it up with silly comments is that it still takes away from the OPs thread. If you dont like it you should just stay out the thread... most people dont just post, "not for me" type posts... the thread gets filled with a back and forth silly *ss banter, and normally ends up way off the persons intended topic. most of the time someone posts something that they like (ie a car that happens to have 22" or larger wheels), then one of the first posts in response is something stupid or silly... then it goes back and forth, and the thread gets closed because of it, and because of it, both sides, the forum looks worse!

its just being courteous. most people dont walk around telling everyone what opinions they have of their outfit, look, car, or whatever else, because its rude and their may be consequences for it... sometimes our opinion is best kept to ones self, especially if it is offensive to someone for any reason... its easy to do on the internet, because you really dont feel that person's reaction, kinda takes that part of emotion out the game...

next time you see someone wearing something you think is hideous, walk up to them and tell them that... you prob wont, cause you sound like a decent guy and it just plain sucks to be mean to someone when it isnt called for...

example (I deleted names, cause thats not my point, doesnt matter who says it):
first post (pics wont re post)
OP said:
pictures of two cars with 22" or 24" wheels

second post
another person said:
It's confirmed, cart wheels on cars look stupid! :mrgreen:

its pretty much the way its said that provokes a response from the OP and, in my opinion it would have been a more reasonable thing to just click off it and go about your day... a person could have spent a ton of money, sacrifice, time, etc to do what they did and stuff like that to me just isnt necessary... this just invites more silly stuff
You are correct, I should have kept my mouth shut about the wheels, he didn't ask me now did he? I will refrain from commenting unless comments are solicited from here on. :wink:

When I did comment however, there was someone who immediately threw down the race card and that was also wrong. That is so old and tiresome, playing victims of injustice. If someone is being so victimized how can they afford 26" rims and the car to put them on?

Wile E

Greasemonkey
Apr 13, 2010
Central WI
Perhaps jatguit is correct. Some of this may be is too-strict, but at the end of the day I could easily see how this would clean things up. Of course, there is the crowd who will whine about censorship, as if they own the site. I may not agree with everything posted, but I don't slam or try to police things I don't like. (although I did post once to correct a historical error), yet if some restraints were in place like suggested in some of the earlier posts, we would not have to "bother" with some of the negative or unwanted stuff. I don't think it's going to be possible to "please" everybody, so directing the content would be a sticky mess for sure. Good luck with that. I consider it a privilege to be here. If I did not like the format, content or rules....I would go elsewhere.
jatguit said:
I am sure you have checked out other forums.
One I like to frequent is Moparts.com.
Moparts.com are fairly strict in that there is NO politics and NO environmental talk, and anythread that starts to go in that direction, or gets offensive, it gets LOCKED and closed and sometimes deleted immediately. Anytime anyone uses a word like Sh*t or Cr*p an insert appears saying something like (Family freindly site, Keep it Clean!) of course some people try to get around that and use "Sh*t" instead, but then that person gets a free vacation. So maybe a more aggresive approach to clamping down using some of these rules along with a clear understanding of what may be in store if things go in a way not condusive to the site.
Yeah, you might get some of the people put off, but the riff-raff (maybe to strong a phrase) that want to go down that road may end up being the ones that leave since they won't be able to do what they want to - or, they may just start wising up. Not that there is a lot of riff-raff here, but I do see a little bit of mocking of the other vehicles kind of thing going on. I don't see it that much on Moparts, and when it does happen, its usually done a little more repectfully and a not so in your face with a "that sucks" kind of thing. It may just be that the age group demographics over there is older, and here we have a predominantly younger crowd.
I presume trying to have some rules and enforcing the site as such I am sure, may take some extra time to do.
Over all I think this is a great site.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
-83MONTESS- said:
how about this . . . if you dont like whats in the title dont f@%king click on it!!! If you hate cars with big wheels or other mods dont open a thread containing them its that simple.

It's that simple. I don't like Fords, therefore I don't go to the Ford dealership to look for a car. If your not interested in the post, just go to another post and speak on something that is interesting to you.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
crucial118 said:
-83MONTESS- said:
how about this . . . if you dont like whats in the title dont f@%king click on it!!! If you hate cars with big wheels or other mods dont open a thread containing them its that simple.

It's that simple. I don't like Fords, therefore I don't go to the Ford dealership to look for a car. If your not interested in the post, just go to another post and speak on something that is interesting to you.
Exactly!

suffrn6

Greasemonkey
Sep 10, 2011
saint john, nb canada
-83MONTESS- said:
crucial118 said:
-83MONTESS- said:

Exactly!

Couldn't have been put any more clearly.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor