Suck N Blow Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
As promised. I cleaned the old girl up today and went to a car show.
20180923_125428.jpg
20180923_132037.jpg
I think it looks a lot better now. It could go down a little more, but on these cars it is a fine line and then it looks like it is going down hill because of the sloped trunk. In all reality I think the front is too low. The hight of the car is ok it is the wheel to wheel opening that looks a little off to me. What do you guys think? I had the only G Body car there today, but did not win anything. Imagine that, not very many people around here like our cars. Here is a picture of the coolest car there in my opinion.
20180923_125438.jpg
Sets too tall for my liking, but everything else is awesome. Lots of settle mods all over this car. I could look at it all day.

Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Needs to come down 1/2" to 1" inch still - the front should go up with the weight shifting rearward. Maybe add a pedestal spoiler to change the visual line and "flatten" out the trunk?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Your car looks great Zach. The front is too low for me but I'm stodgy about that.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
The front did come up a hair all ready. The reason I went with drop spindles, was because of the v6. I did not know what springs to use to get the hight I wanted. I did not lower the back till now because I wanted to wait till after the engine changes to see if the weight difference would make the front come up. The front stayed the same. I do have two inch UMI drop springs now. I am guessing that those springs will only drop the front one inch because of the v6. I think I am going to leave it for now and next year change the front to bigger brakes and lowering springs. Thanks for the input guy's.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
The car is still running grate! Yesterday I took it to the Cruise To The Woods. I didn't wash or clean it. Just took the cover off and went. I knew it was going to rain, so there was no point in washing it.
20181007_115923.jpg
I found this car is kind of crazy in the rain on wet pavement. It runs harder and spools better because of the cooler temps. The scary part is when the boost comes on the car will go sideways or spin the tires at any speed. It was a good time and surprisingly there was a good turn out. This is what it looked like going home.
20181007_144045.jpg
I cleaned the car up when I got home and stayed in the house the rest of the day.

Reactions: 3 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Just checking in for those few that might be wondering what I have been up to. Short answer, nothing car related! The Monte is hibernating for now.
20181223_163431.jpg
I have been focused on getting my newer skid steer together. I bought it four years ago with a slight knock. Ended up being a spun rod bearing and a scored cylinder. A lot of headaches and money later I have the engine back together.
20181223_163403.jpg
This little b*st*rd has challenged me every step of the way! I am so glad to see it together. It is a CNH F5 diesel engine for a Newholland 185 skid steer. Now I need to find time to put it back in the machine and get it running. I also need to come up with a 1000 bucks to buy a bucket and a hay fork. Then I can spend my free money on my car! Yay. Don't worry I have been dreaming up all sorts of ideas for my car. The main things I would like to have done to my car before spring is.. New headliner and exhaust. I am tired of it sounding like a six cylinder with glasspacks! I have been rounding up parts for a brake and spring change up front. Going to go with Blazer brakes and lowering springs. Taking the drop spindles off. They lowered the car too much. I am looking for a a j bracket and turbo cover on the cheeper side. They have proven to be worth more than I want to give for them. I think it would make the turbo look a lot more factory with one on. I really like the way it runs the way it is, so I don't think I will be changing much there. It does need a stall converter though. I would like to find a 200r4 to build for a future project. Well that is were I stand for now. Dreaming!

Reactions: 5 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Small update. I decided to replace my headliner. Here is what it looked like after I got it out of the car.
20190406_121428.jpg
You can see my headliner tacks. Word of advice. If you can wait to buy materials till after you have the bord out I would. I try to have what I need to do the job before I take stuff apart. This time it caught me. I had the materials ordered before I took the headliner out. My bord was in tuff shape. The front corners were broke clear off and pieces missing. I fiberglassed it back together. That worked okish!
20190407_145413.jpg
I did have a bad idea. I thought I could smooth some of the dips and holes with Bondo. That did not work very good. The Bondo is hard and the bord is soft. It did not want to stick very good and was a waste of time and kept chipping off. I did get it covered and put back in the car.
20190504_160223.jpg
It did not turn out too bad. It looks better in the car than it did on the ground. How long it will last ( because of the Bondo) who knows? But better. If I was to do it over I would have bought a new bord that was all ready to go. I didn't think mine was going to be busted up, but all well. Today I finished putting the interior back together and cleaned up. Then I took it for a 10 mile joyride. The old girl is running strong. I forgot how much fun that car is now. Wow! I did shorten the life of the rear tires though :) I am getting a red light on my knock gauge at 10 psi of boost if you stay on it. It does not show knock as you accelerate only when you stay in it. False knock? I did glance at my timing and I think it is advanced a little too much on a full throttle run. It was like 25°. Seems awful high to me. Turbo Buick guys were should it be roughly? Need to take a look at my timing map and do some logs. I also have some exhaust ordered, so that will probably be next. Later!

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I have been working on the exhaust lately. I cutt the old exhaust off. Here is a picture of it laying next to the new exhaust.
20190514_213418.jpg
The way it was. I have a a three inch TH downpipe. Then it got choked down to a two and a quarter pipe for about a foot or so and then y-ed back out with glasspacks and two inch tail pipes out the back. It was pretty restrictive and sounded a little dumb to me. O and it had shin cutter crome tips too! I replaced it with the Pypes kit for a Grand National. I bought it off a guy that bought it, never installed it, and changed his mind. I saved about a 150 bucks. I used stainless band clamps on everything. I did that for two reasons. One is I wanted it to come apart easily for future changes and repairs. Second it came with straight through mufflers and I did not know if I would like them, so I wanted to be able to change them if I wanted. They are Pypes race pros.
20190519_181349.jpg
So far I am very happy as to how well the kit fit right out of the box. The only thing that is a little off is the tailpipe outlet location. One pipe is a little further back and the tip is in about a inch more than the other. Not very noticeable though. I did have to make a bracket to support the test pipe spot. For using scraps and primitive tools I think it turned out ok.
20190519_173946.jpg
I would show you a picture of it mounted, but I did not want to give the guy's with OTC night mares from my leaking transmission. I did get it all done today. I started the car and so far I like the way it sounds. It is throughtier but quieter than the glass packs. Sounds pretty good for a six cylinder. I do have a boost activated exhaust dump. That is why I put the test pipe on instead of the gutted cat. Ieft it off for now and put a cap on. The actuator for the exhaust dump is made for 20 psi all the way open and 10 psi half way open. Right now I am running around 10 psi of boost so the actuator will not open all the way.
20190509_202836.jpg
I want to find a lower psi actuator to put on it before I mount it. Even if I decide to run more boost, I can govern it down with a simple regulator. I know performance wise the exhaust will flow plenty good for my goals. It will be more for fun! Kind of like opening up the four barrels. Ok this is enough rambling about exhaust. Later!

Reactions: 8 users

19monte79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 29, 2007
Beautiful monte man great build! So much good info...thanks for sharing! I just bought a 80 Turbo myself...keep up the great work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor