Taller ball joints in stock control arms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
I went 1" taller, however they are tubular UMI which came with geometry alignment instructions to achieve such a high caster angle

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I have 1/2" taller in both my upper and lower, stock arms. The car isn't on the road yet so I can't comment on alignment and drive quality.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You can put tall ball joints in the upper. The purpose of tall ball joints is to get the upper control arm above the horizontal point to increase the camber when cornering and to improve the roll center. I have 1/2" tall screw in ball joints in the lower control arm and a tall spindle so I just use stock size in the upper

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
There should be enough room to add the alignment shims to get your camber setting with a 1" lower ball joint. .

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I welded in the Howe insert and use a 1/2" taller lower ball joint. If I want to change it then I just have to unscew the ball joint and screw in another one. The hole in the spindle for the lower ball joint has to be reamed out to the proper angle and diameter for the ball joint. You can find the taper reamer at a circle track retailer and they are kind of expensive, they are around $80 herein Canada. The ball joint I am using is an All Star Chrysler style low friction. I could use the rebuildable Howe joints with that insert which allows you to use different length studs

2013-07-06 08.04.33.jpg
2013-07-06 08.05.50.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor