BUICK The Final Objective (Mission Accomplished, 7/23)

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I cut the pad off the crossmember and welded it back on at the right angle. Just added a small brace. Worked great, can’t see it under the car.😉

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Keep a lookout for a mechanical speedo F-body tailhousing. It can come from a non-World Class T5.

Reactions: 1 users

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Keep a lookout for a mechanical speedo F-body tailhousing. It can come from a non-World Class T5.
I cut the pad off the crossmember and welded it back on at the right angle. Just added a small brace. Worked great, can’t see it under the car.😉
At this point with the tailhousing, I'm pretty sure all I need to do is make a longer tab to bolt on.

What kind of transmission mount did you use? I read that you have to use a "solid" mount or it will fail. (not solid metal, just solid material) I've only seen polyurethane mounts like that.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Standard rubber trans mount for a Camaro. If you’re worried, you could get one of those non-ratcheting 1-1/2” web tie-downs, wrap around the crossmember pad and tailhousing a couple times and pull tight, then cut off the excess.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
The rebuild is underway!
I started at 8:00am Saturday and I’m just now hitting the hay at 2:20am Sunday. The T5 is mostly back together. All of the gears are back on, save the one on the input shaft which I believe is 4th. I would post pictures but I’m having technical difficulties from my phone in this area. More to come soon.

Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The rebuild is underway!
I started at 8:00am Saturday and I’m just now hitting the hay at 2:20am Sunday. The T5 is mostly back together. All of the gears are back on, save the one on the input shaft which I believe is 4th. I would post pictures but I’m having technical difficulties from my phone in this area. More to come soon.
Yeah buddy - the all night thrash, nothing like it!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
So here's the documentation of the weekend.
The unit is back together now, and apparently back together correctly. Fingers crossed. It took a day longer than expected. I started in earnest at about 8:40am Saturday and finished putting tools away at 8:20pm Sunday. I followed along with youtube videos of Paul Cangialosi with Eric the Car Guy, Paul Cangialosi's rebuild using G-Force gears, a digital copy of his rebuild book, and referenced Tremec's manual at least twice. I'll slap up some pictures and describe them:
IMG_2210.JPG
Tear down was fairly easy. This was my second time having the box apart and my first time stripping it entirely. Never mind the big flat white wrench which went unused.

IMG_2201.JPG
Having a press and a splitter is near vital to the process. I used it many times. But luckily even the tricky parts can be done by yourself. I won't go too far in-depth since there is good material out there for most questions.

IMG_2205.JPG
Really, the only thing beat up in this unit was the reverse gear, which is also the 1-2 slider. Hopefully I can get by with this. All other gears were fairly good.

IMG_2199.JPG IMG_2200.JPG
I did decide to get just a little fancy and go with a cluster gear support plate from Super661. It's steel and does a better job of supporting the rear bearing for the cluster gear.

IMG_2207.JPG IMG_2208.JPG WKDP4378.JPG
I got maybe a little too fancy and ground flats to help lubricate 5th gear, as seen in Paul Cangialosi's G-force T5 build video. These were done free-hand and on opposite sides, so 4 total.

IMG_2217.JPG IMG_2215.JPG
When 5th gear is not in use, the cluster gear is constantly spinning within 5th gear.

IMG_2229.JPG
This is the only hang-up I had. My socket bottomed out on the shaft before seating the 3-4 slider, which I didn't find out until the trans was almost completely back together.

My girlfriend is trying to sleep, and my keyboard is loud, so I'll have to finish this post later. This is about it though!

Attachments

• IMG_2196.JPG
    IMG_2196.JPG
    833.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2197.JPG
    IMG_2197.JPG
    845.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2212.JPG
    IMG_2212.JPG
    874.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_2213.JPG
    IMG_2213.JPG
    751.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2214.JPG
    IMG_2214.JPG
    654.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2216.JPG
    IMG_2216.JPG
    538.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2218.JPG
    IMG_2218.JPG
    546.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2219.JPG
    IMG_2219.JPG
    820 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2226.JPG
    IMG_2226.JPG
    738.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2230.JPG
    IMG_2230.JPG
    737.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2233.JPG
    IMG_2233.JPG
    416.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
So here's the documentation of the weekend.
The unit is back together now, and apparently back together correctly. Fingers crossed. It took a day longer than expected. I started in earnest at about 8:40am Saturday and finished putting tools away at 8:20pm Sunday. I followed along with youtube videos of Paul Cangialosi with Eric the Car Guy, Paul Cangialosi's rebuild using G-Force gears, a digital copy of his rebuild book, and referenced Tremec's manual at least twice. I'll slap up some pictures and describe them:
View attachment 173637
Tear down was fairly easy. This was my second time having the box apart and my first time stripping it entirely. Never mind the big flat white wrench which went unused.

View attachment 173633
Having a press and a splitter is near vital to the process. I used it many times. But luckily even the tricky parts can be done by yourself. I won't go too far in-depth since there is good material out there for most questions.

View attachment 173634
Really, the only thing beat up in this unit was the reverse gear, which is also the 1-2 slider. Hopefully I can get by with this. All other gears were fairly good.

View attachment 173631 View attachment 173632
I did decide to get just a little fancy and go with a cluster gear support plate from Super661. It's steel and does a better job of supporting the rear bearing for the cluster gear.

View attachment 173635 View attachment 173636 View attachment 173652
I got maybe a little too fancy and ground flats to help lubricate 5th gear, as seen in Paul Cangialosi's G-force T5 build video. These were done free-hand and on opposite sides, so 4 total.

View attachment 173643 View attachment 173641
When 5th gear is not in use, the cluster gear is constantly spinning within 5th gear.

View attachment 173647
This is the only hang-up I had. My socket bottomed out on the shaft before seating the 3-4 slider, which I didn't find out until the trans was almost completely back together.

My girlfriend is trying to sleep, and my keyboard is loud, so I'll have to finish this post later. This is about it though!
I like it! Would you be able to post a link to the video you used? I searched YouTube and found two different t5 rebuild videos (one of which is a 3 part video), saved to my library, and will watch later. The more references, the better. I have a stock t5 in my Caballero, and I found a WC t5 in a wrecked 2000 Mustang a few weeks ago that I would like to mate to a turbo ford 2.3 liter.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
I like it! Would you be able to post a link to the video you used? I searched YouTube and found two different t5 rebuild videos (one of which is a 3 part video), saved to my library, and will watch later. The more references, the better. I have a stock t5 in my Caballero, and I found a WC t5 in a wrecked 2000 Mustang a few weeks ago that I would like to mate to a turbo ford 2.3 liter.
You only need to watch parts one and two for this. Keep in mind, it's not thorough at the end since they're taking the box back apart later.

This video concerns the support plate.

Skim through this series for important reassembly tips and the 5th gear flats mentioned in the support plate video.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
You only need to watch parts one and two for this. Keep in mind, it's not thorough at the end since they're taking the box back apart later.

This video concerns the support plate.

Skim through this series for important reassembly tips and the 5th gear flats mentioned in the support plate video.
You are awesome my friend, thank you.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor