Thinking about new front shocks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
I already have Bilstien's on the front,but a set of the single adjustable VariShock's are on my wish list;
http://scandc.com/new/node/197
Even with a big block up front,although it does have aluminum heads,I think it handles quite well,but I'm always looking to upgrade.
Has anyone ever done a similar switch and seen a noticeable difference ???
Guy

james@pst

Greasemonkey
GBodyForum Sponsor
Jul 31, 2012
Montville NJ
I went with the double adjustable shocks from Vi-King( PST carry's the Vi-King line) on my Malibu and I love the great range of ride quality adjustment available. I take may car everywhere to work to the track and on the weekends the back country roads. I can go from a nice soft ride on the highway to a moderate to stiff ride in a matter of minutes by just sliding under and making a quick adjustment and then I am ready for winding roads. My wife drives my car a lot and she prefers a soft ride while I prefer the stiffer more feel of road ride. So its nice to have that ability. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks
James

lg1200

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2011
I went with the QA1 'economy' coilovers. Only the ride height is adjustable but they're awesome. I achieved the 2" drop I wanted and with the 450lb springs its a nice stiffened up ride..lovin it..i didn't have the money for double adjustables and since it's just a weekend cruiser I didn't want to sink a shitload on the front shocks...just my $.02.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
James,are these the double adjustable shocks you are talking about ??;
http://www.p-s-t.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9669/.f?sc=12
Looks like a pretty good price if they are double adjustable shocks.
I dont believe that I have ever heard of the Vi-king line of shocks,how do they compare to the Varishocks for quality ???
Guy

james@pst

Greasemonkey
GBodyForum Sponsor
Jul 31, 2012
Montville NJ
Yes those are the shocks that I am talking about. They are a newer company on the scene, but the owners have been in the industry for years. The product is very high quality, if you check out my build there are some pictures of my install. Also FYI they have just come out with a coil over conversion in the G bodies as well.

Thanks
James

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
James,I just looked through your build thread,awesome looking Malibu !!!
It looks like those shocks are pretty easy to adjust,2 switches on the bottom that look like they are easy to get at.
I may be putting a set of the front shocks on my winter list,will you ship to Canada via USPS ???
Guy

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Found some info on Viking;
"Viking was founded in 2011, but its owners are anything but new to the industry. Between them, they have over 50 years of hands-on experience in the racing and performance aftermarket. Viking was founded by Chris and Christina King, the former President/CEO and Executive Vice President of QA1 Precision Products, respectively, together with Todd Westberg, the former Director of Engineering and grandson of the founder of Auto Meter.
Viking hand builds and dynamometer tests 100% of our rebuildable and revalveable shock absorbers in our 25,000 sq. ft. facility in Lakeville, Minnesota. We utilize a wide variety of testing and validation procedures for all of our products. Our quality system is ISO9001:2008 / TS16949 compliant and will be certified in 2012."

Sounds like a pretty good pedigree to me :D
James,after looking through your build and the coilover kit,I'm thinking that my Monte would like one of these kits for next year;
http://www.p-s-t.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9611/.f?sc=12
I see there is a big & small block kit,I wonder which one would be best for my aluminum headed BB.
I bet a relocation of the battery to the trunk would put mine at the same weight as a stock small block...
Guy

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
I placed my order today.
I went with the double adjustable Viking 4 pack shock absorbers.
I was considering the front coilovers,but decided against them in the end.
My current front springs are perfectly suited to my big block Monte,so I am keeping it that way.
Guy

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor