thought this was pretty funny.... bashing all rice burners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: thought this was pretty funny.... bashing all rice burne

i dont know why ricers always use the excuse that rwd's are so bad in snow. give my cutlass on a tough hill or turns vs your honda. ill do a hell of a lot better

redsx2434 said:
i dont know why ricers always use the excuse that rwd's are so bad in snow. give my cutlass on a tough hill or turns vs your honda. ill do a hell of a lot better
i prefer rwd over fwd in the snow, you can control your skid with a rwd. im not a big fwd fan. its either gotta be rwd or 4wd for me :lol:

you'd think they'd notice that every real performance/super car is either AWD or RWD. hell, aren't alot of the japanese HP cars RWD? like the skyline
for snow i always ask people "what do you do if the front wheels lose traction? bend over and kiss your *ss goodbye! (and i drive a VW)

Pretty much all Skylines have been AWD since the 80's, before that they were RWD. But yeah you're right, the Supra is RWD, 300ZX's RWD, every Z car (240 260 280) is RWD, 3000GT's AWD, Silvia/240sx RWD, etc.

All good performance cars are rear wheel drive or AWD. FWD is fine for a daily driver, it's better in a lot of ways on a day to day driving around basis but if you want a hot rod or a sports car is has to be AWD or RWD in my opinion.

kornball426 said:
Pretty much all Skylines have been AWD since the 80's, before that they were RWD. But yeah you're right, the Supra is RWD, 300ZX's RWD, every Z car (240 260 280) is RWD, 3000GT's AWD, Silvia/240sx RWD, etc.

All good performance cars are rear wheel drive or AWD. FWD is fine for a daily driver, it's better in a lot of ways on a day to day driving around basis but if you want a hot rod or a sports car is has to be AWD or RWD in my opinion.

dont forget the Rx7s and AE86s both RWD and one has one of the highest reving engin there is 😀

Personally I can drive a RWD car on snow quite well (for the amount I am exposed to it) but as much as we love to think it, there really is no comparison between handling on slick conditions, especially on ice (which is what we usually have here). I agree that to get the most out of a performance car it needs to be AWD or RWD, but for your daily driver in the winter, AWD, 4WD, or FWD is the best way to go. The best thing is that it takes exposure and experience to get comfortable with the handling of RWD cars on ice where the FWD seems more instinctive to most and they pick it up faster. However, this can lead to overconfidence where they then drive faster than they would in a RWD car and end up rear-ending someone because of course they don't stop any faster. My opinions anyway for whatever they're worth...

There are some very quick FWD cars, my wife has a 100% bone-stock Gran Prix GTP (supercharged 3.8 V-6) and it has nearly 180k miles and it will absolutely run circles around my 27k miles '83 Hurst Olds.

As far as RWD in snow. I live in Canada. And for the last 2 winters I drove my Malibu with the stock 305, and no weight with little problems.
I only got it stuck twice. Once because I got forced onto a 3-4' snow drift (just gave it a little push while some lady that lived across the street basically let it idle out). And the other time I was on pure ice and one of my front brakes froze solid (was -40 at the time), but was free in no time.
And as I said, no weight in the trunk except what it came with from the factory (a spare tire and the jack). But I do have really good tires (DD, not race or performance lol), they are Nokians. At the time I bought them they were considered the 2nd best snow tire on the market. But they have a bonus, they are a true all weather tire that does not have to come off in the summer. And I have anti-hop bars. For racing, they plant the rear tires down good. And they must also do the same in the snow, because I have no troubles at all (but with the new 355 that's getting installed it might be a bit different lol).
And I've had it through some pretty scarry stuff. The first winter we had a blizzard. And a few blocks from me the street was covered in a 2' snow drift for well over a block. I was the first vehicle to drive on it (yeah stupid me wanted to go out and test the tires lol), and I made it through. Just got the car up to 50 (30-35MPH) and plowed through at about 40-45 (about 30MPH) with little effort, and I forgot to mention the road has a slight incline. And since it was so easy I went back the same way lol.
But maybe I'm just used to the winter driving. Back when I was 19 I had a 1964 GMC with a 283, 4-speed, and 4.11 peg leg. It was all original except I put on a Quadrajet, HEI, and removed the tailgate and rear bumper. It even still had bias-ply tires. Yeah i got stuck quite a bit (usually when I was parked), but never had an accident. And I drove it around a lot lol.

But...

I also drive a 1998 Cavalier with the small 4banger, auto, with traction control and ABS. And it also has those same Nokian tires I have on my Malibu. And that little car is a monster in the snow. The only downside is it's not as high as my Malibu so it gets high centered easy.

Which do I like best? It's a hard call. With traction control and ABS on FWD it is pretty trouble free driving. But if the car starts so slide around a curve your hooched. As with the RWD we can have a bit more control over it. Plus RWD is just more fun in the snow, going sideways around corners and doing doughnuts lol.
If I'm just taking a slow drive across town and don't ant to screw around, I like the FWD. But itf I want to have some fun I like the RWD.

But there's one more thing. Driving on the highway in the winter. When the road conditions are good it doesn't matter to me either way. But when the roads are bad (as they often are here) I absolutely hate RWD.

Phoenyx said:
I also drive a 1998 Cavalier with the small 4banger, auto, with traction control and ABS. And it also has those same Nokian tires I have on my Malibu. And that little car is a monster in the snow. The only downside is it's not as high as my Malibu so it gets high centered easy.

I drive a 2002 cavalier as my daily driver, like you said, it's a monster in the snow. I've gotten mine stuck a total of 3 times over 2 winters i've had it so far. First time they plowed the road to wide and when i pulled over infront of my friend's place the passenger side wheels dropped in the ditch, and thanks to 1 wheel peels i was going no where. Other times i just tried to drive through massive snow banks across and the road and my driveway.

My car is also lowered so the high centering is a problem i usually run into when it gets stuck, but as they say on j-body forum i'm on "real men ride low in the summer and plow low in the winter"

edit: i also meant to mention that the traction control on those cars is terrible, mines a 5 speed but my sister had an auto sunfire and i've driven it, sometimes the only thing that works to get you out is to spin the tires but the traction control doesn't let you and you can't move at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor